What equations are needed to solve a block in oil puzzle?

In summary, the problem involves a floating block of wood at the interface between oil and water. The gauge pressure on the upper surface can be found by subtracting the pressure of the oil above it from the atmospheric pressure. The gauge pressure on the lower surface can be found by subtracting the pressure of the water above it from the atmospheric pressure. To find the density of the block, the equation B=(P_{bottom}-P_{top})A = \rho g V= mg can be used, where A is the top area of the block. The volume of the block can be calculated by taking into account its height of 10 cm. Atmospheric pressure can be ignored in this problem.
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] block in oil

Homework Statement

A cubical block of wood 10.0cm on a side floats at the interface between oil and water with it's lower surface 3.00cm below the interface. The density of the oil is 0.790kg/m^3.
a) what is the gauge pressure at the upper face of the block?
b) what is the gauge pressure on the lower surface of the block?
c) find the density of the block.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6067/81479390rw0.th.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

do I use these equations ?
I'm not sure about the volume of the block. If according to the picture (I redrew it), it's 2cm below the interface what would that change?

I thought I would use these equations but not sure after the interface issue arises in this problem

a) [tex]B=(P_{bottom}-P_{top})A = \rho g V= mg [/tex]

I don't have the buoyant force though...and I thought that the Pbottom - Ptop would be the gauge pressure but is this correct?

b) I think that since it is below the interface of the oil then I would take the density of water instead of the oil
[tex] B=(P_{bottom}-P_{top})A = \rho g V= mg [/tex]

c) not sure once again but thinking of using this equation

[tex]B-F_g= (\rho _{fluid}- \rho_{object})g V_{object} [/tex]

However I don't have the mass of the block...hm..

Help please.
could someone tell me if I'm going in the right direction?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do NOT have to consider buoyancy in the force balance because the buoyancy is caused by the pressure on the faces.:)

so how would I solve to find the gauge pressure?

can someone Please help me out with this problem??

The gauge pressure is just the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure.

You need to compute Ptop and Pbottom first, using just how much oil or water is above the depth of the top or the bottom of the block.

For c) you can use the equation you quoted at a). What is the volume of a block with height 10 cm and top area A?

kamerling said:
The gauge pressure is just the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure.

so it would be P-P(atmosphere)?
You need to compute Ptop and Pbottom first, using just how much oil or water is above the depth of the top or the bottom of the block.
so would there be 3cm of oil?

For c) you can use the equation you quoted at a). What is the volume of a block with height 10 cm and top area A?

volume of a block?

well it would be 10cm^3

You can ignore atmospheric pressure because it gets added to all the pressures, and just treat the experiment as if it's done in vacuum.

There would be 3 cm of oil at the top.

10 cm^3 isn't correct. I asked for the volume with A still in it, because A also appears in
[tex]
B=(P_{bottom}-P_{top})A = \rho g V= mg
[/tex]

Thanks for your help kamerling

Related to What equations are needed to solve a block in oil puzzle?

1. How does a block in oil puzzle work?

The block in oil puzzle works by immersing a block in a container filled with oil. The block is designed to float in the oil and can be moved around to solve the puzzle. The goal is to find a way to remove the block from the oil without spilling any oil or lifting the block out of the container.

2. What are the benefits of solving a block in oil puzzle?

Solving a block in oil puzzle can improve problem-solving skills, spatial awareness, and critical thinking abilities. It can also be a fun and challenging activity for people of all ages.

3. Is there a specific strategy for solving a block in oil puzzle?

There is no one strategy for solving a block in oil puzzle, as there are many different types of puzzles with varying levels of difficulty. However, some general tips include experimenting with different positions for the block, using the container walls to your advantage, and planning out your moves before making them.

4. Are there any real-world applications for block in oil puzzles?

Block in oil puzzles may seem like simple games, but they have real-world applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. They can help with understanding buoyancy, fluid dynamics, and problem-solving in a practical context.

5. How do I make my own block in oil puzzle?

Making a block in oil puzzle is a fairly simple process. You will need a clear container, oil, and a small block that will float in the oil. Fill the container with oil, place the block in the oil, and you have your puzzle! You can also get creative and design your own puzzles by using different shapes and sizes of blocks or adding obstacles to the container.