What Equation Should I Use for Calculating Total Impedance in RLC Circuits?

In summary, the first equation given is for calculating the complex resultant impedance of two parallel connected complex impedances, while the second equation is for finding the magnitude of the resultant impedance of a parallel connected resistor, capacitor, and inductor. The identical notation used in both equations can be confusing. In order to solve the second example, you must first calculate the complex impedances of each component and then add them using the first equation.
Mrhu

Homework Statement

Hello again!

We have been given a couple of more advanced problems where the components are placed in series parallely.

Check the image, the question is regarding what equation to use, in order to calculate the total impedance of the circuit.

Homework Equations

I have stumbled upon the following equations...
[itex]Z_{tot}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{Z_{1}}+\frac{1}{Z_{2}}}[/itex]

And the same equation, only squared and partly modified

[itex]Z_{tot}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(\frac{1}{R})^{2}+(\frac{1}{X_{L}}-\frac{1}{X_{C}})^{2}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If you take a look at the image you will see two examples, my theory is that the second equation is valid for the first example.

But when does one use the first equation? And can the second equation be used on the second example, and vice versa?

Many thanks in advance, please do use real numbers when explaining. I am aware of the importance of complex numbers in RLC circuits we have not applied them in Physics yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation refers to the complex resultant impedance Z if two complex impedances, Z1 and Z2 are connected in parallel. The second one shows the magnitude Z of the resultant impedance of parallel connected resistor, capacitor and inductor. The identical notation is confusing.

ehild

ehild said:
The first equation refers to the complex resultant impedance Z if two complex impedances, Z1 and Z2 are connected in parallel. The second one shows the magnitude Z of the resultant impedance of parallel connected resistor, capacitor and inductor. The identical notation is confusing.

ehild

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, it is a bit confusing.

If you look at the picture (example 2), should I first calculate the part-impedances, then add them using the first equation in order to achieve the total impedance?

Thanks ehild

Attachments

• qKfUf.png
    qKfUf.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
You can not solve example 2 without using complex impedances. Yes, you need to calculate the complex Z1 and Z2 separately, then add them as complex numbers, according to the first equation.

[tex]\hat Z_1=R+iX_L[/tex]

[tex]\hat Z_2=i(X_L-X_C)[/tex]

The reciprocal impedances add up:

[tex]\frac{1}{\hat Z}=\frac{1}{\hat Z_1}+\frac{1}{\hat Z_2}[/tex]

You get the magnitude by multiplying by the complex conjugate and then take the square root.

ehild

I would like to clarify that the equations provided are valid for calculating the total impedance in an RLC circuit. However, the first equation is typically used for series circuits, while the second equation is used for parallel circuits.

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, so the total impedance is simply the sum of the individual component impedances. Therefore, the first equation, which is essentially the inverse of the sum of impedances, is used.

In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths, so the total impedance is calculated using the second equation, which takes into account the relationship between the resistance (R) and the reactance (X) of the components. The reactance is dependent on the frequency of the circuit and can be either inductive (X_L) or capacitive (X_C).

To determine which equation to use, you need to first determine if the circuit is in series or parallel. In the first example, the components are in series, so the first equation should be used. In the second example, the components are in parallel, so the second equation should be used.

It is important to note that in more complex RLC circuits, where the components are a mixture of series and parallel connections, a combination of these equations may be used to calculate the total impedance. Additionally, as you mentioned, complex numbers are often used in RLC circuits to account for the phase difference between the current and voltage. This is especially important in AC circuits.

I hope this explanation helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to What Equation Should I Use for Calculating Total Impedance in RLC Circuits?

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is used to study the behavior of electrical circuits and is commonly used in electronic devices.

2. What are the equations for an RLC circuit?

The equations for an RLC circuit depend on whether the components are connected in series or parallel. For a series RLC circuit, the equation is V = I(R + XL - XC), where V is the voltage, I is the current, R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance. For a parallel RLC circuit, the equation is V = I(R + 1/jωC - jωL), where V is the voltage, I is the current, R is the resistance, ω is the angular frequency, C is the capacitance, and L is the inductance.

3. How do I calculate the resonance frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the equation ω0 = 1/√(LC), where ω0 is the resonance frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. Alternatively, you can use the equation f0 = 1/(2π√(LC)), where f0 is the resonance frequency in hertz (Hz).

4. What is the significance of resonance in an RLC circuit?

Resonance in an RLC circuit occurs when the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a high impedance and a large current flow. This is useful in applications such as tuning circuits in radios and amplifiers, where a specific frequency needs to be amplified or filtered out.

5. How does the damping factor affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The damping factor in an RLC circuit refers to the rate at which the energy stored in the circuit dissipates over time. A higher damping factor means the energy dissipates faster, leading to a decrease in the amplitude of the current. This can be beneficial in applications where a steady or low-amplitude current is desired, such as in filters or dampers. However, too much damping can cause the circuit to lose its resonance and become less efficient.