What Does Voltage Seconds Represent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the unit "Voltage Seconds" and its physical meaning. It is concluded that the unit is equivalent to a weber and is a measure of magnetic flux. The conversation also touches on the concepts of electromotive force, magnetomotive force, and energy density stored in a magnetic field. It is also mentioned that the polarity of the current can be reversed and this can be observed on an oscilloscope.
minifhncc
Hello,

I've tried looking this up on Google but haven't found anything of relevance.

Basically, I want to know what the unit "Voltage Seconds" (Voltage x Seconds) resembles, if it does.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no physical meaning to that that I'm aware of. Voltage is essentially a unit of force.

Okay, I was asking because I wanted to know what the area underneath of a voltage/time graph means.

http://www.practicalphysics.org/imageLibrary/jpeg350/1560.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that's what that graph was about? Maybe it's an RMS depiction? The RMS of a sine wave that peaks at 10 is about 7.

Okay, I was asking because in class, we did a pract when we were heating water by passing a current through a coil of wires in a bottles. Now, the energy OUT was greater than the energy IN.

My physics teacher stated that this was because the voltmeter measures the maximum voltage, when infact the way that an AC current is converted into a DC current is that the polarity is just reversed 50 times a second, so you get a sine wave that only appears on the top of the X axis. You get what I mean?

This is just out of my own curiosity, not related to any course work.

Thanks

minifhncc said:
Okay, I was asking because in class, we did a pract when we were heating water by passing a current through a coil of wires in a bottles. Now, the energy OUT was greater than the energy IN.
That's not possible, so it is good that you are looking for the error. It is either in the measurement or calculation...
My physics teacher stated that this was because the voltmeter measures the maximum voltage...
No, I've never seen one that measures anything other than RMS voltage - though some do that by calculation so if the wave isn't perfect there can be some error.
when infact the way that an AC current is converted into a DC current is that the polarity is just reversed 50 times a second, so you get a sine wave that only appears on the top of the X axis. You get what I mean?
Yeah, but I think a good dc power supply does a little more than rectify the wave, it also chops off the top. In any case, the meter you use should also show the same error in the amperage if it isn't a true rms meter.

minifhncc said:
Hello,

Basically, I want to know what the unit "Voltage Seconds" (Voltage x Seconds) resembles, if it does.

Thanks

V*s has the same units as W*C (watt-Coulomb) and Joules/Amp. Not sure if there's any fundamental quantity that corresponds to that.

voltage second = weber

minifhncc said:
Hello,

Thanks

Hi minifhncc! :smile:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber_(unit):
Weber (unit of magnetic flux) — The weber is the magnetic flux which, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an electromotive force of 1 volt if it were reduced to zero at a uniform rate in 1 second.[1]
In SI base units, the dimensions of the weber are kg.m2/s2.A. In derived units, they are volt-seconds (V.s).

(and a tesla is a weber (Wb) per metre squared :smile:)

Volt-second is equivalent to a weber, as a volt is merely 1 weber/second. When dealing with energy in the magnetic domain, as opposed to electric, voltage is the *rate of change* or "motion" quantity. Current is the "potential", i.e. 1 amp = 1 joule/weber. A weber is the unit of magnetic flux, the magnetic counterpart of electric charge.

Volts per turn is referred to as "electromotive force", aka "emf", and amp-turns is "magnetomotive force", aka "mmf". The "force" nomenclature is colloquial, and not literal. Neith emf nor mmf is actually a "force".

When dealing with magnetic materials, energy density stored in the form of a magnetic field is the product of volt-seconds per meter squared turn and the ampere-turns per meter, which computes to joules per meter cubed. Or volt-seconds per turn times amp-turns is energy in joules.

The B-H curve of a given ferromagnetic material displays the relationship between amp-turns and volt-seconds per turn.

Does this help? BR.

Claude

Hi,

Thank you for that.

If there was 2A of current passing through the circuit at any given time, what physical quantity would voltage-seconds resemble?

Well, in terms of the power supply, when we connected the DC terminals to an oscilloscope, it showed that there wasn't a constant current, the polarities being reversed was shown. Yes I think they're pretty cheap power packs.

Thanks.

Related to What Does Voltage Seconds Represent?

1. What is voltage seconds and how is it measured?

Voltage seconds is a unit of measurement used to describe the amount of electrical energy in a circuit. It is calculated by multiplying voltage (measured in volts) by time (measured in seconds). This unit is commonly used in the field of electronics and electrical engineering.

2. How does voltage seconds relate to other electrical units such as current and resistance?

Voltage seconds is directly related to current and resistance through Ohm's law, which states that the voltage (V) in a circuit is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This means that voltage seconds can also be calculated using the current and resistance values of a circuit.

3. What is the significance of voltage seconds in electrical systems?

Voltage seconds play an important role in determining the energy consumption and efficiency of electrical systems. It is a measure of the amount of work done by an electrical source and is used to design and optimize circuits for specific applications. In addition, voltage seconds can also help in troubleshooting and diagnosing electrical issues in a circuit.

4. Can voltage seconds be negative?

No, voltage seconds cannot be negative as both voltage and time are always positive values. However, in certain cases, the direction of current flow can be reversed, resulting in a negative voltage value. In these cases, the negative sign is not applied to the voltage seconds calculation.

5. How can voltage seconds be converted to other units of energy?

Voltage seconds can be converted to other units of energy, such as joules or watt-hours, by multiplying it by a conversion factor. The specific conversion factor will depend on the units of voltage and time used. For example, to convert voltage seconds to joules, the voltage seconds value is multiplied by the voltage value in volts.