What Does 'To Lowest Order' Mean in the Derivation of Riemann Curvature Tensor?

In summary, 'to lowest order' in the derivation of Riemann curvature tensor refers to the approximation of a mathematical expression by neglecting higher order terms. This allows for a simplified calculation of the tensor, which describes the curvature of a manifold and plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity. By focusing on the lowest order terms, the derivation becomes more manageable and easier to understand, providing a fundamental understanding of the geometric properties of spacetime.
FaithSeeker
http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap6/frame6.html" is a derivation of the components of the riemann curvature tensor. the problem is that i can't understand the transition between eq97 and eq89 .
what does "To lowest order " mean ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar at all with the notation (GR tends to have the most horrible formulas I've ever seen), but the first step looks like a use of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and the approximation looks like some sort of truncated Taylor expansion.

Hi, just found your question today. I am working through Dunsby's webpages which are almost identical to Schutz's" Introduction to General relativity". Ok , my understanding of eqns 92 to 97 are...
He finds the change in the component V alpha when parallel transported around the loop to get eqn 97. The each pair of terms has the form... integral @ x=a + delta a MINUS integral @ x= a. This is just like delta f = df/ dx . delta x to first order .
i take it there is some mathematical theorem that allows you to change d/dx of an integral into an integral of d/dx ... giving eqn 98.
then using eqn 99 or 92 again we arrive at the Riemann curvature tensor

PS. Does anyone else find that web pages and lecture notes on GR are poorly explained and very difficult to work through unaided? I've self- studied Maths to degree level using OU courses and always found the reasoning well explained. BUT not GR!
Cheers!

Related to What Does 'To Lowest Order' Mean in the Derivation of Riemann Curvature Tensor?

1. What is the Riemann Curvature Tensor?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor is a mathematical concept in differential geometry that measures the curvature of a space. It is used to describe the curvature of a manifold, which is a mathematical space that is curved in multiple dimensions.

2. How is the Riemann Curvature Tensor calculated?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor is calculated using a combination of the Christoffel symbols and the metric tensor. The Christoffel symbols describe the connection between points on a manifold, while the metric tensor measures the distance between points. By combining these two concepts, the Riemann Curvature Tensor can be calculated.

3. What is the significance of the Riemann Curvature Tensor?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor is significant because it allows us to understand the curvature of spaces in higher dimensions. It is also used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime, which is responsible for the effects of gravity.

4. Can the Riemann Curvature Tensor be visualized?

Yes, the Riemann Curvature Tensor can be visualized using a mathematical concept called the "curvature tensor field". This field assigns a set of numbers to every point on a manifold, which can then be visualized using techniques such as vector fields or color maps.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Riemann Curvature Tensor?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor has many real-world applications, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to understand the behavior of matter in curved spacetime, to describe the shape of surfaces in computer graphics, and to model the bending of light in gravitational lensing, among others.