What does this state collapse into after the measurement?

In summary, the discussion is about the collapse of a photon field from a coherent state to a state with a definite photon number after the field is detected by a detector. This is different from just absorbing one photon from the field, which would still result in a coherent state.
wdlang
assume that i have a photon field, which is in a coherent state.

now i detect a photon of this field, i.e., my detector absorbs a photon from this field.

my question is, what state will the field collapse into?

this question may be not so trivial as the examples most quantum mechanics textbooks mention

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Zapper recently referenced an experiment on this topic in his sticky thread (general forum?). Sometimes it collapses into a state with "more" photons.

Last edited:
wdlang said:
assume that i have a photon field, which is in a coherent state.
now i detect a photon of this field, i.e., my detector absorbs a photon from this field.
My question is, what state will the field collapse into?
I don't think they're the same thing. A coherent state is an infinite superposition of
states of many particle numbers (poisson-distributed). I.e., a coherent state has indeterminate
photon-number. If you setup an experiment to measure "photon number", and repeat the
measurement many times, you'll get various different values 1,2,3,... with decreasing
probabilities. Then, (if we take the Copenhagen interpretation of measurement), the
state after the measurement is an eigenstate of photon number (since that's what you
measured). So, if you measure photon number as 1, then what you have afterwards
is (theoretically) no longer a coherent state, but rather a state of definite
photon number = 1.

But this is obviously different from an apparatus which merely absorbs 1 photon from
the coherent state and let's it continue on its way. (I think of this as a filter, not a detector)
A coherent state is an eigenstate of the annihilation operator, so you'll still have a
coherent state afterwards. In other words, the act of annihilating 1 photon does not
constitute a "detection" of photon-number = 1.

Related to What does this state collapse into after the measurement?

1. What is the most common outcome after a measurement is made on a state?

The most common outcome after a measurement is made on a state is that the state will collapse into one of its eigenstates. This means that the state will "choose" one of its possible states and remain in that state until the next measurement is made.

2. Can a state collapse into a superposition of states after a measurement?

No, after a measurement is made on a state, it will collapse into a single eigenstate. This is because the act of measurement forces the system to "choose" a definite state, rather than remaining in a superposition of states.

3. How can we predict which state a system will collapse into after measurement?

We can use the mathematical concept of probability to predict the outcome of a measurement on a state. The probability of a state collapsing into a specific eigenstate is determined by the square of the coefficient of that eigenstate in the initial state.

4. What happens to the other possible states after a measurement is made on a state?

After a measurement is made on a state, the other possible states that the system could have collapsed into are no longer considered. The state has "chosen" one of its eigenstates, and the other possibilities are no longer relevant.

5. Can a state collapse into a state that was not one of its possible eigenstates?

No, a state can only collapse into one of its possible eigenstates after a measurement is made. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is known as the "collapse of the wavefunction."