What does this sam johnson sentence mean in plain language

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter tomishere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language Mean
In summary, he is saying that if you are lost in the thoughts of other authors, reading Shakespeare will cure you of it.
tomishere
"...he who has mazed his imagination, in following the phantoms which other writers raise up before him, may here be cured of his delirious extasies, by reading human sentiments in human language"

Heres the context.
"This therefore is the praise of Shakespeare, that his drama is the mirrour of life; that he who has mazed his imagination, in following the phantoms which other writers raise up before him, may here be cured of his delirious extasies, by reading human sentiments in human language; by scenes from which a hermit may estimate the transactions of the world, and a confessor predict the progress of the passions."

I get the general idea of what he's saying, but I am not following his exact train of thought: for example, is "he"he reader? .. what does he mean by "mazed his imagination"? and what do the phantoms represent ?
thanks for any help.

Science news on Phys.org
tomishere said:
"...he who has mazed his imagination, in following the phantoms which other writers raise up before him, may here be cured of his delirious extasies, by reading human sentiments in human language".
In this case, maze means bewilder. The rest of the passage is straightforward. Shakespeare writes about real human sentiments, whereas other authors do not. If you are bewildered by the phantom sentiments of other authors, reading Shakespeare will cure you of it.

thanks for the answer makes sense now.. btut how did you know that maze means bewilder? (derived from amaze?)

tomishere said:
thanks for the answer makes sense now.. btut how did you know that maze means bewilder? (derived from amaze?)

I googled it. It was the first hit.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I googled it. It was the first hit.

My first hit was:

A maze is a tour puzzle in the form of a complex branching passage through which the solver must find a route. In everyday speech, both maze and labyrinth denote a complex and confusing series of pathways, but technically the maze is distinguished from the labyrinth, as the labyrinth has a single through-route with twists and turns but without branches, and is not designed to be as difficult to navigate.[1] The pathways and walls in a maze or labyrinth are fixed (pre-determined) – puzzles where the walls and paths can change during the game are categorised as tour puzzles. The Cretan labyrinth is the oldest known maze.[2]

-Wiki

zoobyshoe said:
My first hit was:

-Wiki
maze verb

Jimmy Snyder said:
maze verb

Amazing, Jimmy.

Related to What does this sam johnson sentence mean in plain language

What does this sentence mean in plain language?

This question is asking for a simplified explanation of a sentence, which may be complex or difficult to understand.

Can you break down this sentence for me?

Similar to the previous question, this is asking for a simplified explanation and possible clarification of a sentence.

Why is this sentence important?

This question is asking for the significance or relevance of a sentence in a larger context or topic.

Can you provide an example of this sentence being used?

This question is asking for a real-life or hypothetical scenario in which the sentence is used, to better understand its meaning and usage.

Is there a specific context or background knowledge needed to understand this sentence?

This question is asking if there are any specific details or information that is necessary to fully comprehend the meaning of the sentence.