What does this quote from Einstein mean?

In summary, Einstein wrote in a letter to Max Born that he feels that QM is not the true Jacob, quote: "Quantum mechanics demands serious attention. But an inner voice tells me that this is not the true Jacob. The theory accomplishes a lot, but it does not bring us closer to the secrets of the Old One. In any case, I am convinced that He does not play dice."
adoion
Einstein wrote in a letter to Max Born that he feels that QM is not the true Jacob, quote:

"Quantum mechanics demands serious attention. But an inner voice tells me that this is not the true Jacob. The theory accomplishes a lot, but it does not bring us closer to the secrets of the Old One. In any case, I am convinced that He does not play dice."

So who is the Jacob he is referring to, is it the biblical Jacob who tricked his father into blessing him instead of his brother Esau? But then the saying should be: "But an inner voice tells me that this is not the true Esau" because the Father thought that Jacob is Esau and not the other way around.

Hope someone can tell, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's related to the story as the science community adopted and accepted QM as a true description of nature whereas Einstein believed there is something fundamentally wrong with its description of reality, hence QM acts like Jacob and the science community acts like Isaac and give QM the blessing of acceptance.

Likes bhobba
Is this thread about quantum physics, or about holy books?

Demystifier said:
Is this thread about quantum physics, or about holy books?
I would say the former, but could be wrong.

It's about quantum physics, and the saying "it's not the true Jacob" is just a literal translation from German, meaning, thant QT doesn't lead to a full description of what's going on in the microscopic world of particles, atoms, etc. Einstein did not like the idea of an irreducibly probabilistic description, which QT in fact is. In his opinion, shared also by some other great scientists like Schrödinger, who abhorred his own groundbreaking achievement of wavemechanics because of the probabilistic interpretation by Born. Born and Einstein were very close friends, quarreling about the meaning/interpretation of quantum theory and over the question, whether it's a "complete" theory/description of nature on a fundamental level or not. This discussion went on from the early beginnings of modern quantum theory (since Born came up with his probability interperation in his famous paper on scattering theory, where it is a footnote, earning him a nobel prize nearly 30 years later) until Einstein's death in 1955. There's a good English translation of the correspondence between Einstein and Born, which is very worth reading. Of course, it doesn't only deal with quantum theory but also on personal matters.

adoion said:
So who is the Jacob he is referring to, is it the biblical Jacob who tricked his father into blessing him instead of his brother Esau? But then the saying should be: "But an inner voice tells me that this is not the true Esau" because the Father thought that Jacob is Esau and not the other way around.
Maybe you should ask this question in the bible forums? ;-)

Okay, I guess its time to close this thread.

Thank you all.

Related to What does this quote from Einstein mean?

1. What exactly did Einstein mean by this quote?

Einstein's quotes are often open to interpretation and can have multiple meanings depending on the context. It's important to consider the historical and cultural context in which the quote was made to fully understand its meaning.

2. How can I apply this quote to my life or work?

Einstein's quotes often offer insightful perspectives on various aspects of life and work. It's up to the individual to interpret and apply the quote in a way that resonates with their own experiences and goals.

3. Is this quote scientifically accurate?

Einstein was a renowned physicist and his quotes are often rooted in scientific concepts and theories. However, it's important to note that his quotes may not always be scientifically accurate as they may be taken out of context or simplified for a broader audience.

4. How does this quote relate to Einstein's theories or discoveries?

Many of Einstein's quotes are connected to his theories and discoveries in the field of physics, such as the theory of relativity and the equation E=mc^2. Understanding the scientific context behind the quote can provide deeper insight into its meaning.

5. Can you provide examples of how this quote has been applied in society?

Einstein's quotes have been widely used and referenced in various fields, including science, philosophy, and popular culture. Some examples of how this quote has been applied in society include inspiring scientific research, sparking philosophical discussions, and being used in motivational speeches or self-help books.