What does these structures do? (pistons with linear and circular motion)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a rod connected to two pistons in dynamics problems. The participants question its practicality in the real world and suggest studying more practical concepts. A link to a mechanical linkage is also provided as an example of similar applications.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I always see them in my dynamics problem but I never understand what are they used for, typically? Just to get some sort of perspective on the thing.

It's supposed to be a rod connected to two pistons moving with linear and circular motion

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3977/whatdothey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean what are these objects useful in real world ?
I think almost nothing. It's just for practising with exercises.

Your picture is similar to a sliding garage door mechanism (but drawn upside down).

There are many applications for these types of linkage. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_linkage (and the links to Watt's linkage, etc on that page)

Quinzio said:
Do you mean what are these objects useful in real world ?
I think almost nothing. It's just for practising with exercises.

Really? Wouldn't we be better off studying something more practical?

This helped clear it though :) -->

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Pantograph_Mirror.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Femme_physics said:
Really? Wouldn't we be better off studying something more practical?

This helped clear it though :) -->

Cool picture! :cool:

Related to What does these structures do? (pistons with linear and circular motion)

1. What is the purpose of a piston with linear motion?

A piston with linear motion is used to convert pressure into mechanical motion. It is commonly used in engines, pumps, and compressors to create movement that can be harnessed for various purposes.

2. How does a piston with linear motion work?

A piston with linear motion works by using a reciprocating motion to create a pulling or pushing force. This is achieved by the movement of a piston within a cylinder, which is connected to a crankshaft that converts the back and forth motion into rotational motion.

3. What are the advantages of using a piston with linear motion?

One of the main advantages of using a piston with linear motion is its simplicity and reliability. It is also highly efficient, as it can convert pressure into motion with minimal energy loss. Additionally, pistons with linear motion can be used in a wide range of applications, making them versatile and useful in various industries.

4. What is the difference between a piston with linear motion and one with circular motion?

A piston with linear motion moves in a straight line, while a piston with circular motion moves in a circular path. This means that a piston with linear motion is better suited for applications that require back-and-forth motion, while a piston with circular motion is better for applications that require rotational motion.

5. Can a piston with linear motion be used for precise movements?

Yes, a piston with linear motion can be used for precise movements. It is commonly used in precision machinery and robotics, where accuracy and control are crucial. By adjusting the pressure and speed of the piston, precise movements can be achieved with minimal error.