What Does the XY Plane Look Like in 3D Rotation Scenarios?

This means that any particle within the body can only move in a 2D plane parallel to the ground. The picture provided seems to accurately depict this concept. In summary, the book states that a body can only rotate around the z-axis and any particle within it can only move in a plane parallel to the xy-plane.
Miike012
Look at picture for more details...

Book says...
" A body is free to rotate only about the z-axis. Within the body any particle of
mass m can move only in a plane parallel to the xy plane."

What would the xy plane look like? I am assuming by "xy plane" this does not mean x and y axis...?

I added a picture of what I think they are talking about... is this correct??

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
Look at picture for more details...

Book says...
" A body is free to rotate only about the z-axis. Within the body any particle of
mass m can move only in a plane parallel to the xy plane."

What would the xy plane look like? I am assuming by "xy plane" this does not mean x and y axis...?

I added a picture of what I think they are talking about... is this correct??

The xy-plane is the 2D coordinate plane formed by the x- and y-axes. In other words, it is the set of all points for which z = 0.

Related to What Does the XY Plane Look Like in 3D Rotation Scenarios?

1. What is the meaning of rotating around an axis?

Rotating around an axis refers to the movement of an object or system around a fixed imaginary line, called an axis. This movement can be in a circular or elliptical pattern and is commonly seen in objects such as planets, atoms, and gears.

2. How does an object rotate around an axis?

An object rotates around an axis due to the application of a force or torque. This force causes the object to spin around the axis, with the speed and direction of rotation depending on the magnitude and direction of the force.

3. What is the difference between rotation and revolution?

Rotation refers to the movement of an object around its own axis, while revolution refers to the movement of an object around another object or point. For example, the Earth rotates on its own axis, but also revolves around the Sun.

4. How is angular momentum related to rotating around an axis?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion around an axis. It is directly proportional to the object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics, stating that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotating around an axis?

Some common examples of rotating around an axis include the rotation of the Earth around its own axis, the spinning of a top, the rotation of a wheel on an axle, and the rotation of a fan blade. Other examples include the rotation of a planet around a star, the rotation of a propeller on a plane, and the rotation of a drill bit.