What Does the Wave Function y(r,t) Represent in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: I don't know what to call it... real number. And that is what the uncertainty principle says. Basically, what the principle says is that you can't know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. If you could, you could use the wavefunction to predict the particle's future location with perfect accuracy, and you could also use the wavefunction to predict the particle's momentum with perfect accuracy. But because the wavefunction describes both position and momentum, you can't do that. So the principle is sort of like a rule of thumb that tells us that we can't know something with absolute certainty. But it's still a useful rule of thumb because it tells us something about
OS Richert
Just get started with quantum so I have a simple question.

Does a matter wave describe the probability of the particle to be in a certain place, or is it the wave squared?

In other words, is
y(r,t) = Probability(finding particle at r and time t)

or

y(r,t)^2 dV = Probabilty(finding particle at r and time t)

I know it is the second, since that is what the book lists. But then what does the wave function y(r,t) represent?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try to venture a guess myself. The comparison with electromagnetic waves is an example in the book I'm using, though I don't know if I follow it correctly.

The eletromagnetic wave e(r,t) is a measure of the eletric field at that point.
The electromagnetic wave's energy is proportional to e(r,t)^2. But we know electromagnetic energy is quantized as photons, there e(r,t)^2 must be a measure of the number of photons at r at time t, or, if normalized, is proportional to the probability of the number of photons in that area.

Likewise, y(r,t)^2 is proportional to the "intensity" of the particles's <what?> and therefor is the proportional to probability that the particle is in that location. Therefor, simple y(r,t) is a measure of the wave's "strength", which is undefined by is somehow anagolous to an eletric field's strength?

OS Richert said:
Just get started with quantum so I have a simple question.

Does a matter wave describe the probability of the particle to be in a certain place, or is it the wave squared?

In other words, is
y(r,t) = Probability(finding particle at r and time t)

or

y(r,t)^2 dV = Probabilty(finding particle at r and time t)

I know it is the second, since that is what the book lists. But then what does the wave function y(r,t) represent?

The wave function has a complex number value (or it could be an object like a vector or a spinor with complex number components). So it can't represent a probability itself; probabilities are real numbers between zero and one.

You can take any complex number a + bi and multiply it by its conjugate a - bi and get a real number a2 + b2, and you can arrange things so that the complex values you deal with have their "complex squares" like this between zero and one, so the square of your wave function value (which is called an amplitude) can be regarded as a probability.

As to what the amplitude "represents", quantum theory doesn't say, and the various interpretations fill many of the discussion threads on this forum.

thank you, that is very helpful.

I have another question. When physicists say that the uncertainy of a particles position is not simply a matter of ignorance but a statement that the particle does not have a defined position, does that refer to the whole space that the wave equation describes itself? In other words, if I have a wave packet describing the particle, the particle is actually not in a more defined position that the entire packet? Or as an example, if an electron is bound to a nuclues, described by a certain standing wave, the particle itself is actually in all of those locations (in some sense I guess) that is described by that wave (with different proportions or "probability") I guess.

Why is it, btw, that physicists believe the position is not defined, and that it is not simply a matter of are ignorance? Is it because a bound electron does not lose energy and therefor does not radiate and therefore must not be an accerlerating or decelerating charge and therefor must be a constant charge distrabution and therefor the electron must actually in some sense be in all of those location? (sorry for the long sentence:bugeye: )

OS Richert said:
thank you, that is very helpful.

I have another question. When physicists say that the uncertainy of a particles position is not simply a matter of ignorance but a statement that the particle does not have a defined position, does that refer to the whole space that the wave equation describes itself? In other words, if I have a wave packet describing the particle, the particle is actually not in a more defined position that the entire packet? Or as an example, if an electron is bound to a nuclues, described by a certain standing wave, the particle itself is actually in all of those locations (in some sense I guess) that is described by that wave (with different proportions or "probability") I guess.

Bear with me here, I have to do some explaining before I can answer you.

Since the wave function for position is complex it doesn't by itself determine position in our spacetime, which again can be described exactly by real numbers. What is needed is something to turn the complex amplitude for position into an actual value of a spacetime position. That something is an observation (or I believe, more generally, an interaction). Corresponding mathematically to the observation is an object called an operator, and the operator acts on the wave function (the model here is the way a matrix acts on a vector, if you are familiar with that formalism). If you have just the right operators they will act on the amplitudes to produce a string of real numbers. These are called eigenvalues of the operator, and in quantum mechanics you often see the term eigenstates. Each of the eigenstates is one possible outcome of your measurement of position, and you will see one of them. The operator-amplitude action will also produce those probabilities, one for each eigenstate, giving the probability that your measurement will see the corresponding eigenstate.

All of this explanation is necessary to answer your question. A quantum system does not have a real position unless this interaction or measurment happens. And because the result of the measurement is probabilistic, the position you will see is uncertain.

Why is it, btw, that physicists believe the position is not defined, and that it is not simply a matter of are ignorance? Is it because a bound electron does not lose energy and therefor does not radiate and therefore must not be an accerlerating or decelerating charge and therefor must be a constant charge distrabution and therefor the electron must actually in some sense be in all of those location? (sorry for the long sentence:bugeye: )

I hope the above explanation will help to answer this question too. There's a lot more to describe, but why don't you take this much and go back to your studies and see if they are clearer?

Last edited:
I hope the above explanation will help to answer this question too. There's a lot more to describe, but why don't you take this much and go back to your studies and see if they are clearer?

Oh boy! I am going to need to spend some time with your explanation. It seems you have jumped ahead to more general quantum mechanics including the full treatment of eigenvalues and such. I am still working through a sophmore year Modern Physics text which doesn't include such detail. Can I ask one final question to try to map the more general case into the simplified version presented in this book. If the operator-amplitute action gives both the possible positions and probability for each position, how does this relate to squaring the wave function in order to get the probability of being in a certain volume?

Or in other words, how does this qoute from Modern Physics by Taylor and Zafiratos relate to your fuller explanation, "Associated with each individual quantum particle there is a wave function y(r,t) whose intensity at any position r determines the probability P of finding the particle at r (at time t)".

Related to What Does the Wave Function y(r,t) Represent in Quantum Mechanics?

What are matter waves?

Matter waves are a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles, such as electrons and protons. These waves are not physical waves like sound or light waves, but rather represent the probability of a particle being in a certain location at a certain time.

How are matter waves produced?

Matter waves are produced through a process called wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that particles can have a wavelength, just like a physical wave, and can be described by a mathematical equation known as the de Broglie equation.

What is the significance of matter waves?

The concept of matter waves is important because it helped to reconcile the conflicting theories of particle and wave behavior in quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of electron microscopes and particle accelerators.

How do matter waves differ from physical waves?

Matter waves differ from physical waves in that they do not require a medium to propagate and are not observable in the same way as physical waves. Matter waves are also described by a mathematical equation, while physical waves can be described by properties such as frequency and amplitude.

Can matter waves be observed?

No, matter waves cannot be directly observed. They are a theoretical concept used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and practical applications.