What does the value for 'c' represent in Hooke's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment done for the Hooke's Law module in college. The equation y=mx+c is used to graph the results, and the value for c is expected to be small. The theoretical value for c is 0, and any deviation from that could indicate an error. The recommended method for finding the line is through least-squares regression, using the equation ŷ = a + bx, where b = r · Sy/Sx and a = ȳ - bx̄. The value of x in the experiment represents the amount the length of the spring increases or the distance from an arbitrary reference point to the end of the spring where the force is applied.
iamBevan
Hi guys - we did an experiment at college putting some weights on a spring for our Hooke's Law module. When I graph it I get a value for c, in the equation y=mx+c. Is this correct? Will c have a value?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well Hooke's law says that F is proportional to x. So if you get a value for c, then it should be small.

It is pretty small - I remember hearing that c would be the force required to hold the spring tight, wasn't sure if that was true or not...

iamBevan said:
When I graph it I get a value for c, in the equation y=mx+c. Is this correct? Will c have a value?
Hooke's Law states that [itex]F_{spring} = -kx[/itex], where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement vector.

Theoretically, you should get a value for c. However, this value is 0. If you are getting anything that deviates too greatly from 0, it is probably an error.

What method are you using to find the line? Are you using linear regression?

y2-y1/x2-x1

iamBevan said:
y2-y1/x2-x1
So...[itex]\frac{Δy}{Δx}[/itex]? How many trials did you do? I would imagine that using [itex]\frac{Δy}{Δx}[/itex] with more than 2 points would get...weird.

Try making a least-squares regression line.

The equation will follow the model of [itex]\hat{y} = a + bx[/itex], where [itex]b = r \cdot \frac{S_{y}}{S_{x}}[/itex] and [itex]a = \bar{y} - b\bar{x}[/itex].

For help...
[itex]S_{x} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{n-1}\sum{(x_{i} - \bar{x})}^{2}}[/itex], where n is the number of trials you did and xi is the value of x for trial #i. Follow the same process for Sy, except replace the x's with y's.

[itex]r = \frac{1}{n-1}\sum{(\frac{x_{i} - \bar{x}}{S_{x}})}(\frac{y_{i} - \bar{y}}{S_{y}})[/itex].

Don't worry if this looks complicated. It really isn't. Additionally, you might get a better looking (and possibly more accurate) line.

Out of curiosity, how did you use [itex]\frac{Δy}{Δx}[/itex] to do this, if you did more than two trials?

iamBevan said:
Hi guys - we did an experiment at college putting some weights on a spring for our Hooke's Law module. When I graph it I get a value for c, in the equation y=mx+c. Is this correct? Will c have a value?

Thanks.

In your experiment, what is the definition of x? Does x represent the amount that the length of the spring increases (relative to having no force on the spring), or is it the distance from some arbitrary spatial reference point to the end of the spring where the force is applied?

iamBevan said:
It is pretty small - I remember hearing that c would be the force required to hold the spring tight, wasn't sure if that was true or not...

Your value for 'c' should be close to zero as this would represent errors in measurement and so on. So you will not have to figure what qualitatively 'c' represents.

Related to What does the value for 'c' represent in Hooke's Law?

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is directly proportional to that distance. In other words, the amount of force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount it stretches or compresses.

2. How is Hooke's Law represented mathematically?

Hooke's Law is represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This equation is also known as y=mx+c, where y represents the force, m represents the spring constant, and c represents the equilibrium position.

3. What is the significance of the slope in the equation y=mx+c?

The slope (m) in the equation y=mx+c represents the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, while a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring.

4. Can Hooke's Law be applied to other materials besides springs?

Yes, Hooke's Law can be applied to other materials as long as they exhibit linear elastic behavior. This means that the material's deformation is directly proportional to the applied force, and it returns to its original shape once the force is removed.

5. How is Hooke's Law used in real-world applications?

Hooke's Law is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of shock absorbers, suspension systems, and weighing scales. It is also used in materials testing to determine the stiffness of materials and in medical devices like prosthetics and orthodontic braces.