What does the modulus operator mean in a C++ if statement?

In summary, an "if" statement in C++ is a conditional statement that executes a block of code if a specified condition is true. It can also include an "else" statement to execute a different block of code if the condition is false. To write an "if" statement in C++, you use the keyword "if" followed by a set of parentheses containing the condition to be evaluated. The syntax for an "if" statement in C++ is "if (condition) { // code to be executed if condition is true } else { // code to be executed if condition is false }". Multiple "if" statements can be used in code, either nested or one after the other, to evaluate different conditions and execute different blocks of
FallArk
I have run into an if statement as shown below:

if (randoms[(x * 3) + y] % 2)

I don't really understand what this means.
Thank you for helping!

Technology news on Phys.org
The [m]%[/m] symbol is the modulus operator, and so the expression [m]n % 2[/m] will be true if n is odd (there is a remainder when dividing by 2) and false if n is even (there is no remainder when dividing by 2).

So, the statement:

[m]if (randoms[(x * 3) + y] % 2)[/m]

Is looking to see if the [m]((x*3) + y)[/m]th element of the [m]randoms[/m] array is odd, and if so, execute some code.

Related to What does the modulus operator mean in a C++ if statement?

What is an "if" statement in C++?

An "if" statement in C++ is a conditional statement that allows the program to execute a certain block of code if a specified condition is true. It can also include an "else" statement to execute a different block of code if the condition is false.

How do I write an "if" statement in C++?

To write an "if" statement in C++, you use the keyword "if" followed by a set of parentheses containing the condition to be evaluated. Then, you use curly braces to enclose the code that will be executed if the condition is true.

What is the syntax for an "if" statement in C++?

The syntax for an "if" statement in C++ is as follows:

if (condition) {

// code to be executed if condition is true

}

else {

// code to be executed if condition is false

}

Can I have multiple "if" statements in my code?

Yes, you can have multiple "if" statements in your code. They can be nested within each other or used one after the other to evaluate different conditions and execute different blocks of code accordingly.

What happens if the condition in my "if" statement is not met?

If the condition in your "if" statement is not met, the code inside the "else" block (if present) will be executed. If there is no "else" block, the program will continue to the next line of code after the "if" statement.