What Does the Encircled Equation Mean?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Drain Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary: F_R$ is the resultant force, and it's equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the three forces that produced it.
Drain Brain
Hello! :)

I just want to ask how, did the encircled portion come about?

It says that it equates the $\hat{i}$ and $\hat{j}$ components.

but when I tried that, this is what I get

$0.5447F_{1}=F_{3}(\sin(\theta)-\cos(\theta))$ ---> This expression doesn't ring a bell. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Attachments

• mechanicsCHII-46.jpg
    mechanicsCHII-46.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 32
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
Hello! :)

I just want to ask how, did the encircled portion come about?

It says that it equates the $\hat{i}$ and $\hat{j}$ components.

but when I tried that, this is what I get

$0.5447F_{1}=F_{3}(\sin(\theta)-\cos(\theta))$ ---> This expression doesn't ring a bell. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Hi Drain Brain,

The $\mathbf F_R$ on the left hand side is really:
$$\mathbf F_R = 0\cdot \boldsymbol{\hat\imath} + 0 \cdot \boldsymbol{\hat\jmath}$$
Since the $\boldsymbol{\hat\imath}$ component is completely independent from the $\boldsymbol{\hat\jmath}$, we match them left and right.

Put otherwise, we separate the equation in:
- Sum of the horizontal forces is zero
- Sum of the vertical forces is zero

I like Serena said:
Hi Drain Brain,

The $\mathbf F_R$ on the left hand side is really:
$$\mathbf F_R = 0\cdot \boldsymbol{\hat\imath} + 0 \cdot \boldsymbol{\hat\jmath}$$
Since the $\boldsymbol{\hat\imath}$ component is completely independent from the $\boldsymbol{\hat\jmath}$, we match them left and right.

Put otherwise, we separate the equation in:
- Sum of the horizontal forces is zero
- Sum of the vertical forces is zero

Hi, I Like Serena!

Can you tell me why the i and j components become 0?

What I'm thinking about the problem is that the components of $F_{R}$ are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction that's why they cancel each other and produce a resultant of 0. Is my line of thinking correct? If not please explain to me why the components became both 0. Thanks!

Drain Brain said:
Hi, I Like Serena!

Can you tell me why the i and j components become 0?

What I'm thinking about the problem is that the components of $F_{R}$ are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction that's why they cancel each other and produce a resultant of 0. Is my line of thinking correct? If not please explain to me why the components became both 0. Thanks!

It's because the problem statement says:

The three concurrent forces acting on the screw eye produce a resultant force of $\mathbf F_R = \mathbf 0$.

Related to What Does the Encircled Equation Mean?

What does the encircled equation mean?

The encircled equation is a mathematical expression that is surrounded by a circle. It is typically used to indicate that the equation is of particular importance or significance in a given context.

Why is an equation encircled?

An equation may be encircled to draw attention to it, highlight its importance, or indicate that it is the key equation in a particular problem or theory. It can also be used to distinguish it from other equations in the same context.

How is an encircled equation different from a regular equation?

The main difference between an encircled equation and a regular equation is that the encircled equation is given a special emphasis. It is typically used to denote its significance or importance in a given context, while a regular equation is used to solve mathematical problems or explain relationships between variables.

Can any equation be encircled?

Yes, any equation can be encircled. However, it is important to use it purposefully and sparingly to avoid confusion or detracting from the overall presentation of the information.

How do I know when to encircle an equation?

The decision to encircle an equation should be based on the context and purpose of the equation. If it is a key equation in a problem or theory, or if it is important for understanding the overall concept, then encircling it may be appropriate. It is important to use good judgement and consider the overall visual presentation when making this decision.