What does the big bang theory really tells us?

In summary, the big bang theory is often misunderstood by the general public. It does not claim to explain the singularity at the beginning of the universe, but rather focuses on what happened after that. The age of the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years, starting from the singularity. This age refers to the entire universe, not just the observable part. To learn more about the early universe, a recommended resource is Weinberg's book, The First Three Minutes.
vinicius0197
I know there is a lot of misconception amongst the general public involving the big bang theory. Most people outside the scientific community still believe that the big bang theory says that the all the universe - and not just the observable one - started from a single point, and that the beginning of the universe was something like an explosion rather than an expasion.

I am lay in this affair, but I've been doing some kind of research in order to get a better understanding about what this theory really tells us about our universe. I mean - and correct me if I'm wrong - we know that, in the past, the universe was much more hot and dense, and if we extrapolate this for a very distant past, we get a singularity. Science doesn't know what happens there, so the big bang theory just tells us about things that happenned after this singularity, right? My doubt is: we know that the universe is something like 13.8 billion years old. But this is the time elapsed since when? The singularity, that we don't know nothing about, or the beginning of the expansion? And this is the age of the observable universe, or the whole one?

Space news on Phys.org
vinicius0197 said:
AMy doubt is: we know that the universe is something like 13.8 billion years old. But this is the time elapsed since when? The singularity, that we don't know nothing about, or the beginning of the expansion?
The epochs before the expansion were very short compared the epochs we are used to. They occurred in pico-seconds. Short by our standard but long by the clocks of spacetime.

Here's a brief summary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe

vinicius0197 said:
And this is the age of the observable universe, or the whole one?
The whole one.

I'd say your understanding is quite good. The BB theory starts immediately (nominally one Plank Time) after the singularity but does not include it. The age is the age of the whole universe. The observable universe is a sphere centered on your left eyeball (when your right eye is closed) and is nothing special otherwise. Well, it IS special for us because it's all we can see but there's no reason to believe that things beyond it are any different.

If you are interested in the early universe, I recommend Weinberg's The First Three Minutes

1. What is the big bang theory?

The big bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a hot, dense point about 13.8 billion years ago and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How is the big bang theory supported by evidence?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the big bang theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the observation of the expansion of the universe.

3. Does the big bang theory explain how the universe was created?

No, the big bang theory does not explain what caused the universe to come into existence. It only describes the earliest stages of the universe's evolution.

4. What does the big bang theory say about the future of the universe?

The big bang theory predicts that the universe will continue to expand and cool, eventually leading to the end of stars and galaxies and the eventual heat death of the universe.

5. Is there any competing theory to the big bang theory?

There are some alternative theories that attempt to explain the origin and evolution of the universe, such as the steady state theory and the oscillating universe theory. However, the big bang theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported explanation among scientists.