What does polarization really mean?

In summary: What is the physical significance in asking how a wave is polarized?The physical significance of asking how a wave is polarized is that it refers to the direction in which a transverse wave oscillates. For instance, a standing wave on a string is linearly polarized in the vertical direction, meaning that each element will go up or down. And electromagnetic waves are often circularly polarized, meaning that the electric field vector will trace out a circle perpendicular to the direction of the wave vector.
lugita15
I'm trying to understand the meaning of polarization. I know the actual definition, which concerns the directions in which a transverse wave oscillates, as opposed to the direction of propagation. For instance a standing wave on a string is linearly polarized in the vertical direction, meaning that each element wil go up or down. And electromagnetic waves are often circularly polarized, meaning that the electric field vector will trace out a circle perpendicular to the direction of the wave vector.

But I don't really have an intuitive grasp of what polarization is all about. What is the physical significance in asking how a wave is polarized? I don't mean what the practical applications are, which are certainly numerous, but what feature of the physical world does polarization fundamentally refer to?

Maxwell's discovery that light is an electromagnetic phenomenon came relatively late in the development of optics, so how was the polarization of light understood before it was even connected to the electric field? For that matter, Maxwell himself was under the impression that the electric field was some kind deformation of the "aether", so did he think of polarization in terms of some mechanical model? On a related note, are there examples of circularly or elliptically polarized waves in purely mechanical systems like strings and membranes? Finally, why do photons have polarization, and what does it even mean in a quantum context?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions in a single post, but I just finished taking a course on waves and I'm embarrassed to have never really grasped such an important idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You in Advance.

Science news on Phys.org
lugita15 said:
On a related note, are there examples of circularly or elliptically polarized waves in purely mechanical systems like strings and membranes?

Fasten one end of a stretched string to a wall, and hold the other end in your hand. When you shake your hand up and down, you get a vertically polarized wave. When you shake your hand left and right, you get a horizontally polarized wave. When you move your hand round and round in a circle (with the plane of the circle perpendicular to the string) you get a circularly polarized wave.

jtbell said:
Fasten one end of a stretched string to a wall, and hold the other end in your hand. When you shake your hand up and down, you get a vertically polarized wave. When you shake your hand left and right, you get a horizontally polarized wave. When you move your hand round and round in a circle (with the plane of the circle perpendicular to the string) you get a circularly polarized wave.
Wow. I can't believe such a simple example never even occurred to me. OK, one question down...

Related to What does polarization really mean?

1. What is polarization?

Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field in an electromagnetic wave. It can also refer to the separation of positive and negative charges in a material or substance.

2. What causes polarization?

Polarization is caused by the interaction of electric fields with matter. This can occur naturally in some materials, or it can be induced by applying an external electric field.

3. How does polarization affect light?

When light is polarized, it means that the electric field of the light waves is oriented in a specific direction. This can affect how the light behaves when it interacts with other materials, such as passing through a polarizing filter.

4. What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization refers to a light wave where the electric field oscillates in a specific direction, while circular polarization refers to a light wave where the electric field rotates in a circular motion. Linear polarization can be thought of as a special case of circular polarization.

5. How is polarization used in everyday life?

Polarization is used in a variety of everyday technologies, such as sunglasses, LCD screens, and 3D glasses. It is also important in various scientific fields, such as astronomy and material science, where it can provide insights into the properties of light and matter.