What Does One Consider An Engineer

• Engineering
  • Thread starter neosoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, a physics major may be able to enter a molecular engineering PhD program, but their eligibility to be considered an engineer and obtain a license may vary depending on their location. In some countries, it is illegal to call oneself an engineer without a license, while in the US, it may be possible to become licensed with a related degree and enough work experience. A graduate degree in engineering may also be beneficial.
neosoul
I'm a physics major looking forward to entering a molecular engineering PhD program. Would I not be considered an engineer because of my BS in physics? Would I be able to be licensed as someone with some engineering BS or be payed less?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your geographic location. In some countries, it's illegal to officially call yourself an engineer unless you are in fact a licensed engineer. If you live in the US, check how it works in your state. I believe many states allow people with degrees in related areas to become licensed as professional engineers if they have enough work experience (I believe something like 5-10 years in my state). A graduate degree in engineering is probably a plus, but again, check how things work in your state.

Likes neosoul and JakeBrodskyPE

Related to What Does One Consider An Engineer

What does one consider an engineer?

An engineer is a person who uses scientific knowledge and principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes for various purposes.

What types of engineers are there?

There are various types of engineers, including civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, aerospace, computer, and environmental engineers, among others. Each type of engineer specializes in a specific area and has unique skills and knowledge.

What education is required to become an engineer?

Most engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some may also have a master's or doctoral degree, depending on their area of specialization. In addition to formal education, engineers also need to continuously update their knowledge and skills through training and professional development programs.

What skills are important for engineers?

Engineers need a combination of technical knowledge, problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, creativity, and teamwork skills. They also need to have strong communication skills, as they often work with other professionals and stakeholders.

What are the responsibilities of an engineer?

The responsibilities of an engineer may vary depending on their area of specialization and job role. Generally, engineers are responsible for designing, testing, and implementing solutions to problems, ensuring the safety and efficiency of structures and systems, and continuously improving existing processes and technologies. They also need to adhere to ethical and legal standards in their work.