What Does it Mean When a Black Hole is Spinning?

In summary: From the perspective of an outer observer all the material that builds the black hole is stuck on the horizon because of the infinite time dilation at its surface. This material is, from that perspectice, frozen right above the horizon, but angular momentum has to be conserved so it becomes space itself that rotates (with time standing still on the surface). Because there is, still speaking from the outer perspective, nothing inside black holes (not even spacetime, see the Schwarzschild paraboloid, which has a hole in the middle where the Schwarzschildradius begins), what you get is a rotating shell.
Gonzalo Chumillas
The angular momentum is related to the rotation. And when a black hole has angular momentum, it is said that it is a "rotating black hole". But what does it mean? A black hole does not have a conventional surface, like a basketball. How should we interpret that angular momentum?

I asked this question previously in a Spanish forum, but nobody know :( And I think it is a very simple question.

Thank you and sorry for my basic English.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gonzalo Chumillas said:
The angular momentum is related to the rotation. And when a black hole has angular momentum, it is said that it is a "rotating black hole". But what does it mean? A black hole does not have a conventional surface, like a basketball. How should we interpret that angular momentum?

I asked this question previously in a Spanish forum, but nobody know :( And I think it is a very simple question.

The angular momentum of the black hole is simply the angular momentum of the body that it formed from. It is detectable via the phenomenon of Frame Dragging.

Point of order: If I can answer it, it isn't advanced ;)

Likes Gonzalo Chumillas
m4r35n357 said:
The angular momentum of the black hole is simply the angular momentum of the body that it formed from. It is detectable via the phenomenon of Frame Dragging.

Of course, it can change as it engulfs infalling material.

m4r35n357 said:

Thanks. It seems to be advanced for Spanish forums, since nobody know :D

Gonzalo Chumillas said:

That's a good question, and personally I don't know if we can relate the angular momentum or "spinning" of a black hole with the casual meaning of rotating or spinning.

From a quantitative perspective one applies the conservation laws to determine that the angular momentum of a black hole plus that carried by any material blasted away at the formation is equal to the angular momentum of the star that collapsed. Then later any type of matter or energy with angular momentum that is absorbed or emitted by the black hole will add or remove angular momentum from it. But is it (the singularity?) rotating in the usual everyday meaning of the word? No idea, the question itself might be meaningless.

Maybe, the angular momentum can be understood as a distortion in the adjacent space-time around the black hole, not the black hole itself. That is: the angular momentum is a property of the adjacent space-time around a black hole. But I have no idea, actually :D

Gonzalo Chumillas said:
A black hole does not have a conventional surface, like a basketball.
From the perspective of an outer observer all the material that builds the black hole is stuck on the horizon because of the infinite time dilation at its surface. This material is, from that perspectice, frozen right above the horizon, but angular momentum has to be conserved so it becomes space itself that rotates (with time standing still on the surface). Because there is, still speaking from the outer perspective, nothing inside black holes (not even spacetime, see the Schwarzschild paraboloid, which has a hole in the middle where the Schwarzschildradius begins), what you get is a rotating shell. For the infalling particle the story is a bit different, but as long as we are talking about the black hole from the outside.

There is an interpretation of spin in Einstein-Cartan theory. In this theory, the spacetime has an additional property of torsion. Not only curvature, but also torsion. The torsion is coupled to the curvature and this is known as frame-dragging.

Rotating black hole (or in some interpretations even elementary particles) has nonzero torsion.

haael said:
The torsion is coupled to the curvature and this is known as frame-dragging.

I don't think this is correct. Frame dragging is an effect that appears in standard GR, where the connection is torsion-free.

haael said:
Rotating black hole (or in some interpretations even elementary particles) has nonzero torsion.

This doesn't look correct either. A rotating black hole is described by the Kerr solution in standard GR, again with a torsion-free connection.

Stollaxel Stoll said:
From the perspective of an outer observer all the material that builds the black hole is stuck on the horizon because of the infinite time dilation at its surface.

This is not correct. A black hole is a vacuum solution; there is no "material" anywhere.

The rest of your post does not look correct either. It is very important in this subject to look at the actual math, not at heuristic pop science descriptions.

Gonzalo Chumillas said:
Maybe, the angular momentum can be understood as a distortion in the adjacent space-time around the black hole, not the black hole itself.

This is actually a good heuristic way of understanding, not just the angular momentum, but the mass of the hole (or indeed of any isolated object). If you go far away from the object and measure the geometry of spacetime, you will find certain aspects of that geometry that correspond to "mass" and "angular momentum". For example, you can put test objects in orbit about the isolated object and measure their orbital parameters, and from those measurements you can compute the mass and angular momentum of the isolated object.

Related to What Does it Mean When a Black Hole is Spinning?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How do we know if a black hole is spinning?

Scientists can determine if a black hole is spinning by observing the behavior of matter and light around it. If the matter and light are orbiting or spiraling towards the black hole, it is an indication that the black hole is spinning.

3. What does it mean when a black hole is spinning?

When a black hole is spinning, it means that it has angular momentum, which is the measure of how fast an object is spinning. This rotation gives the black hole a shape similar to a flattened sphere.

4. How does the spin of a black hole affect its surroundings?

The spin of a black hole affects its surroundings in several ways. It can influence the shape of the black hole, the behavior of matter and light around it, and the strength of its gravitational pull. It also plays a role in the formation and behavior of accretion disks.

5. Can a black hole stop spinning?

Yes, a black hole can stop spinning. This can happen if it merges with another black hole or if it loses angular momentum through the emission of gravitational waves. However, once a black hole stops spinning, it will remain stationary unless acted upon by an external force.