What does it mean to say space and time are fundamental in physics?

In summary: a pretty good foundation for understanding what's being said about space and time not being fundamental in physics.
Newton-reborn
What feature of the equations of classical physics show that space and time are fundamental and how would the equations differ if space and time were not fundamental but emergent? I heard all of this from a previous talk and I would appreciate any help and any further reading recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton-reborn said:
What feature of the equations of classical physics show that space and time are fundamental and how would the equations differ if space and time were not fundamental but emergent? I heard all of this from a previous talk and I would appreciate any help and any further reading recommendations.

This is rather vague and verging on philosophy.

Here's something you might want to try and do. Try to describe, using the most minimal set of parameters, the equation of motion of anything. You may try this with classical mechanics (i.e. set up the force equation, or using a Lagrangian/Hamiltonian) or using QM via the Hamiltonian/Schrodinger equation. Do you think you can make an accurate and complete description of the dynamics without invoking spatial and temporal coordinates at all?

Zz.

Likes vanhees71 and WWGD
It happens to be a topic in the frontiers of physics (Quantum Gravity). Nima Arkani speaks of it very often. He says that space and time cannot be fundamental because when you invoke QM the whole concept falls apart and can only be an approximation of a deeper concept. Has nothing to with philosophy

Newton-reborn said:
It happens to be a topic in the frontiers of physics (Quantum Gravity). Nima Arkani speaks of it very often. He says that space and time cannot be fundamental because when you invoke QM the whole concept falls apart and can only be an approximation of a deeper concept. Has nothing to with philosophy

What is fundamental in place of spacetime?

Newton-reborn said:
To me it means that whoever said it does not understand cosmology. I think that neither space nor time are fundamental, they are just constituents of spacetime which IS fundamental.

Likes vanhees71
Newton-reborn said:

Perhaps you could say more about what you know about the subject. For example, in what way does the whole concept of spacetime fall apart when you invoke QM? I'm wondering if this is simply the incompatibility between GR and QM? - and, the assumption that probably it's GR that will eventually be shown to emerge from a theory of quantum gravity?

Also, why would this affect classical physics? Classical physics has no need to incorporate relativity or QM. It won't need to be modified to reflect a possible future theory of emergent spacetime.

Newton-reborn said:

But that IS philosophy because "a deeper concept" than space-time is a speculation that has no empirical support! That's like Einstein thinking that there are "hidden variables" in QM that underlies its "probabilistic" nature. We haven't found any after all these years.

Zz.

Likes vanhees71
Newton-reborn said:
That's a sufficiently vague statement that it probably means pretty much whatever the listener hears and the speaker intends it to mean. It's certainly not a rigorous statement about physics, even if it came from a professional physicist thinking about the possible future of the discipline.
When I hear it, I think about how we can accept time as "what a clock measures" and distance as "what a ruler measures" (these are Einstein's insights here) and proceed to build all of current physics on top of these concepts without needing anything deeper - but that's just me.
and how would the equations differ if space and time were not fundamental but emergent?
We won't know unless and until we find these hypothetical new equations of a hypothetical new theory in which space and time are emergent. And even then all of our current equations, which describe our universe in terms of these quantities, will remain valid.
I heard all of this from a previous talk and I would appreciate any help and any further reading recommendations.
It's a lot of work, and maybe not what you want to hear, but the best thing you can do is to acquire a solid (undergraduate physics BA degree) understanding of classical mechanics, special relativity, and quantum mechanics. That will give you enough background to at least follow along when people are talking about quantum field theory. It's really somewhat amazingly good news that a few years of serious study will get you to where you can understand something that has been built over many centuries by some of the smartest people who ever lived.

Likes russ_watters

Related to What does it mean to say space and time are fundamental in physics?

1. What is the definition of "fundamental" in physics?

In physics, the term "fundamental" refers to the most basic and essential elements or principles that make up the universe and govern its behavior. These are the building blocks from which all other phenomena can be derived.

2. How are space and time related in physics?

Space and time are closely intertwined in physics, as they are both considered fundamental dimensions of the universe. According to the theory of relativity, space and time are not separate entities, but rather part of a single four-dimensional continuum known as spacetime.

3. Why are space and time considered fundamental in physics?

Space and time are considered fundamental in physics because they are necessary for describing the physical world and the interactions between objects. They provide the framework for understanding the motion and behavior of matter and energy.

4. How do space and time affect the laws of physics?

Space and time play a crucial role in the laws of physics, as they are used to define concepts such as distance, velocity, and acceleration. The laws of physics are also dependent on the properties of spacetime, such as its curvature and the speed of light.

5. Can space and time be changed or manipulated?

According to our current understanding of physics, space and time cannot be changed or manipulated. They are considered fundamental and unchangeable aspects of the universe. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose the existence of extra dimensions that could potentially affect the properties of spacetime.