What does it mean to be 'quantized'?

In summary, quantized means that something can only be cut into integers. For example, light cannot be cut into 1/2 photons or 1.33333 photons.
MIA6
What does it mean to be 'quantized'? My teacher often says about Quantum Physics. I just don't get what that means. My teacher explained that quantized means everything can be or can not be (I didn't listen carefully) cut indefinitely. If everything can be cut indefinitely, then how about electron? It can not be cut since scientists haven't found what electron is made of, so please explain to me what quantized really means in a easy and understandable way. thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
MIA6 said:
What does it mean to be 'quantized'? My teacher often says about Quantum Physics. I just don't get what that means. My teacher explained that quantized means everything can be or can not be (I didn't listen carefully) cut indefinitely. If everything can be cut indefinitely, then how about electron? It can not be cut since scientists haven't found what electron is made of, so please explain to me what quantized really means in a easy and understandable way. thanks a lot.

are you in a high school?
My last year, grade 12 physics, teacher used to say that a lot. :smile:

maybe, university professors would do the same.

"What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our physics students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You see my physics students don't understand it... That is because I don't understand it. Nobody does."
-- Richard P. Feynman (1918-1988), QED, The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, Penguin Books, London, 1990, p 9.

yes, I am in high school. My teacher first tallked about tearing papers in half, and she said it could be cut into infinity, then she talked about molecule, but i forgot if the molecule can be cut or not. Anyway, can any object cut into infinity?

If something is quantized, it essentially means that that something comes in "chunks," and that these "chunks" cannot be broken into smaller "chunks."

Take light as an example. The chunks that light is made up of are called photons. A sensor can only deal with whole numbers of photons. It cannot absorb 1/2 a photon, or 1.33333 photons, since the smallest amount of light that can be dealt with is 1 photon. 1/2 a photon or 1/3 of a photon don't exist.

Does this help?

G01 said:
If something is quantized, it essentially means that that something comes in "chunks," and that these "chunks" cannot be broken into smaller "chunks."

Take light as an example. The chunks that light is made up of are called photons. A sensor can only deal with whole numbers of photons. It cannot absorb 1/2 a photon, or 1.33333 photons, since the smallest amount of light that can be dealt with is 1 photon. 1/2 a photon or 1/3 of a photon don't exist.

Does this help?

So it's like a multiples of integer. it will give 1n,2n,3n. but no any decimals.

Related to What does it mean to be 'quantized'?

1. What does it mean to be 'quantized'?

Quantization is a process in which continuous data is represented in discrete values or levels. This means that instead of having a range of values, the data is broken down into specific, separate values.

2. How does quantization work?

Quantization works by dividing the range of values into equal intervals and assigning a discrete value to each interval. This allows for more efficient storage and processing of data.

3. What is the purpose of quantization?

The purpose of quantization is to simplify and reduce the amount of data that needs to be stored or processed. It also allows for more accurate and efficient analysis of data.

4. What are some examples of quantization?

Quantization is commonly used in digital audio and video processing, where continuous analog signals are converted into discrete digital data. It is also used in data compression and in the representation of physical quantities in quantum mechanics.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of quantization?

The main advantage of quantization is that it allows for more efficient storage and processing of data. However, it can also introduce errors and loss of information, especially when the number of quantization levels is limited. It is important to carefully choose the level of quantization to balance between storage efficiency and preserving the accuracy of the data.