What does it mean by independent (in gauge fixing of EM field)

In summary: A_z is not zero.In summary, in the Coulomb gauge fixing of an EM field, there are two independent components, but in the case of \nabla A = 0, the third unknown is not uniquely determined by the first two.
kof9595995
What does it mean by "independent"(in gauge fixing of EM field)

In my textbook, it gives the Coulomb gauge [tex]\phi = 0,\nabla A = 0[/tex] and says they will kill two degrees of freedom of the four potential and leave two independent components. I understand [tex]\phi = 0[/tex] will kill one degree of freedom, but I'm not so sure about [tex] \nabla A = 0[/tex]. Usually the scenario is,let say we have 3 unknowns, and they are linked by a equation, such that given any two, the third unknown will be uniquely determined, that's what we called "kills a degree of freedom". However in [tex] \nabla A = 0[/tex], given [tex]{A_x},{A_y}[/tex], we will only know [tex]\frac{{\partial {A_z}}}{{\partial z}}[/tex], so A_z is not uniquely determined by A_x and A_y. So how should I interpret this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, perhaps it's more appropriate to put the post in classical physics. I met this question when reading some QFT, that's why I put it here.

No, you should view the [itex] \nabla\cdot\vec{A} = 0 [/itex] as a constraint equation, in the sense that the 3 spatial components of the vector potential are not entirely independent, but are related throogh their first derivatives.

I know, but in this case what's the precise definition of "independent" or "dependent"? If the third unknown can't be uniquely determined by the the first two, in what sense have we killed a degree of freedom?

That's seen in the momentum representation, in which the gauss' law becomes [itex] \sum_{i=1}^{3} k_i A_i = 0 [/itex], where the new A's are the Fourier transformed of the initial ones. Now you can see that all 3 components are not really independent.

I see, that seems clearer, thank you

Emm, wait, that doesn't really resolve the problem, in momentum representation,specifying A_x, A_y can only determine k_z*A_z, not A_z, so it's no better than position representation.

Yes, but [itex] k^{\mu}k_{\mu} = 0 [/itex] from which you can express [itex] k_z [/itex] in terms of [itex] \omega, k_x, k_y [/itex].

Emm, I was wrong, because k_z is just a independent variable, so if we know k_z*A_z, we know what A_z is.

Interestingly, in k space we uniquely determine A_z, but in position representation we don't. This is because when doing the Fourier transform, we assume A_z goes to 0 at z=infinity, realizing this, we can just as well uniquely determine A_z in position representation

Related to What does it mean by independent (in gauge fixing of EM field)

Question 1: What does it mean by "independent" in gauge fixing of EM field?

In this context, "independent" refers to the ability to choose a specific gauge (or mathematical representation) for the electromagnetic field without affecting the physical predictions or behavior of the system. This is known as gauge invariance.

Question 2: Why is gauge invariance important in the study of EM fields?

Gauge invariance is important because it allows us to choose the most convenient or useful gauge for a particular problem without changing the underlying physics. This can simplify calculations and make it easier to interpret results.

Question 3: Can you give an example of a gauge transformation in EM field?

One example of a gauge transformation is the Lorenz gauge, which is commonly used in electromagnetism. In this gauge, the divergence of the vector potential is set equal to the negative of the scalar potential divided by the speed of light. This choice of gauge simplifies the equations and makes them more manageable.

Question 4: How does gauge fixing affect the equations of motion for an EM field?

Gauge fixing does not affect the equations of motion for an EM field, as they are invariant under gauge transformations. However, the choice of gauge can affect the form and complexity of the equations, making some gauges more suitable for certain problems.

Question 5: Is gauge invariance unique to EM fields?

No, gauge invariance is a fundamental concept in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. It is a key principle in understanding the fundamental symmetries of our universe.