What does fatty acid synthesis imply?

In summary, the conversation discussed the role of pantothenic acid in various biological reactions such as energy production, fatty acid and amino acid metabolism, and the synthesis of important molecules like hormones and neurotransmitters. It was clarified that pantothenic acid is a building block and does not directly break down or utilize fatty acids. Instead, it is needed for the production of CoA, which is essential for fatty acid breakdown. Overall, pantothenic acid does not affect omega 3 intake and is necessary for various bodily processes.
xxndnromeoxx
Sorry, I'm not much of a biology expert, but I was looking into the interactions between b5 and omega 3 fatty acids. I wanted some help clarifying this.

Pantothenic acid is involved in a number of biological reactions, including the production of energy, the catabolism of fatty acids and amino acids, the synthesis of fatty acids, phospholipids, sphingolipids, cholesterol and steroid hormones, and the synthesis of heme and the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/pan_0196.shtml

Does that imply that it breaks down fatty acids and uses them as energy? Or does it help in the break down and uptake, and usage of fatty acids?

Basically, will this hurt omega fatty acid intake by burning off fats, or actually make better use of them by using them for their essential purpose better?

Thank you for your time, I respect the knowledge this community has to offer!

Biology news on Phys.org
I think you are making this sound harder than it is. Pantothenic acid is just a molecule that is used in the synthesis of those molecules listed. You need this thing in order to make other things like those hormones, neurotransmitters. It's just a building block. It does not make and break anything on its own. let's see, it is part of fatty acid breaking down pathway, I guess it means you need to make CoA from it, then acetyl CoA from CoA. Anyway, it on its own is not going to do anything. It's not goint to make you lose weight or anything. These articles are always so general, gives people headaches, arent you annoyed by it too?

ask more or private message me if u need more stuff

Last edited:
Thank you contrio,

I understand what you mean, it makes sense. I was trying to simply over analyze it and started to confuse myself. You are right, it was overly simplified in a sense.

Related to What does fatty acid synthesis imply?

1. What is fatty acid synthesis?

Fatty acid synthesis is the biochemical process by which the body produces fatty acids from simpler molecules such as glucose. It is an essential process for the production of lipids, which are important for energy storage, cell membrane structure, and signaling molecules.

2. How is fatty acid synthesis regulated?

Fatty acid synthesis is regulated by a complex interplay of enzymes and hormones. Insulin and glucagon, for example, play important roles in the regulation of fatty acid synthesis in response to changes in blood sugar levels. Enzymes such as acetyl-CoA carboxylase and fatty acid synthase also play key roles in controlling the rate of fatty acid synthesis.

3. What is the purpose of fatty acid synthesis?

The purpose of fatty acid synthesis is to produce fatty acids for various cellular functions, such as energy storage and cell membrane formation. Fatty acids are also used to produce important signaling molecules, such as prostaglandins and leukotrienes, which play key roles in inflammation and other physiological processes.

4. How does fatty acid synthesis differ from fatty acid oxidation?

Fatty acid synthesis and fatty acid oxidation are two opposing processes that occur in the body. Fatty acid synthesis is the process of building fatty acids, while fatty acid oxidation is the process of breaking down fatty acids for energy. Additionally, fatty acid synthesis occurs in the cytoplasm of cells, while fatty acid oxidation takes place in the mitochondria.

5. What are the implications of impaired fatty acid synthesis?

Impaired fatty acid synthesis can have serious consequences for the body. It can lead to a buildup of fatty acids in the liver and other tissues, resulting in conditions such as fatty liver disease. It can also affect the production of important signaling molecules, leading to various health issues. Additionally, impaired fatty acid synthesis may contribute to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.