What Does Extensity Mean in Endoreversible Thermodynamics?

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary, the conversation discusses a project on Endoreversible Thermodynamics and the difficulty in understanding certain aspects of it. The concept of endoreversible engines being overall irreversible but breakable into reversible subsystems is mentioned, along with the use of the terms "extensity" and "intensity". The linked article provides more information, defining "extensity" as an extensive variable and "intensity" as an intensive variable. The concept of endoreversible systems is also briefly explained as a way to approximate irreversible systems using reversible systems and transport equations.
babbagee
I am doing a project for my thermodynamics class and I have decided to do it on Endoreversible Thermodynamics. I Have read a few articles but I am having some difficulty understanding parts of it. I have not read the whole article, still in the beginning. But from the intro are they saying that Endoreversible engines overall are irreversible but can be broken down to multiple subsystems, which are reversible? Secondly I am having a hard time understanding what they mean by the use of the word extensity or extensities . Any help would be greatly Appreciated.

sorry totally forgot to link the article.

http://www.qucosa.de/fileadmin/data/qucosa/documents/5641/data/Masterarbeit.pdf

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I quickly scanned the first 2 sections, 'extensity' seems to mean 'extensive variable', and 'intensity' means 'intensive variable'. For example, the entropy is extensvie (since doubling the size of the system doubles the entropy), but temperature is intensive- it remains the same.

The concept of endoreversible seems to be that irreversible systems can be approximated by directed fluxes of energy between reversible systems- the transport equations contain all the 'irreversible parts' of the system.

Related to What Does Extensity Mean in Endoreversible Thermodynamics?

1. What is the purpose of the article?

The purpose of the article is to educate readers about a specific topic or research findings.

2. What is the main idea of the article?

The main idea of the article is the central theme or argument that the author is trying to convey.

3. How is the article structured?

The article is typically structured in a way that introduces the topic, presents evidence or research, and concludes with a summary or conclusion.

4. What sources are used in the article?

The sources used in the article may include primary research studies, secondary sources such as books or articles, and expert opinions.

5. How can I better understand the article?

To better understand the article, it is helpful to read it multiple times, take notes, and look up any unfamiliar terms or concepts. It may also be beneficial to discuss the article with others or seek clarification from the author or experts in the field.