What does a 4-bit Micro-processor do?

• Thread starter Young Learner
  • Start date
In summary, a 4-bit processor can do addition and other arithmetic operations, but more complex operations can be done in software.
Young Learner
Today I just came across a video in youtube,"Making your own 4-bit processor". Does a 4-bit processor performs only addition. I also searched and came to know that Intel 4004 was the first commercially available micro-processor. Did Intel released a processor which worth only adding?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The 4-bit micros could be ganged together to make an arbitrarily larger CPU. I think the initial audience was for cash register machines and desktop calculators.

Doing addition was a great feat. Other arithmetic operations could be done in software, slower but still workable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4004

A 4-bit microprocessor can do any manipulation that can be done 4 bits at a time.
All depends on how you encoded it and what it is hooked up to.

If you only use 4 bits per instruction, then you can have 32 separate instructions.
If one of the instructions is "treat the following two nibbles as one instruction" then you could, in principle, have 256 additional instructions - each taking 3 machine cycles to load. But an instruction could be "run in 8-bit mode" in which case everything takes two machine cycles to load.

It depends on how clever the designers were.
The 4004 had 46 instructions... 41 were 8 bits wide.
But you can do a lot with 32 instructions.

Before the 4004, the CPU was not even all one component.

In a way 8 commands are enough to write any program (think brain**** - sigh, profanity filter doesn't allow to properly post name of the language).

Young Learner said:
Does a 4-bit processor performs only addition. I also searched and came to know that Intel 4004 was the first commercially available micro-processor. Did Intel released a processor which worth only adding?
The Intel 4004 has an add, subtract, and a decimal adjust instruction (for handling bcd addition, I don't see an adjust for subraction, so you'd have to use 10's complement math for negative bcd numbers (subtract a number from all 9's, then increment the result)). I'm not sure if early 4004 based calculators used binary or bcd.

Another 4 bit / bit slice processor chip series (not a complete cpu in a chip) was the AMD 2900 series. Several 16 bit mini-computers were based on the 2900 series of chips. Additional hardware was used to convert a mini-computer's machine language into 2900 operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Am2900

Last edited:
Only require the command set to be Turing complete don't we - something like that?
Thue is Turing complete, has 1 command and 2 operands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thue_(programming_language)
... but most of the implementation is in the hardware in that case right?

... and in the good ol' days, we used to have to build out own CPUs one valve at a time. Why the kids of today...

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon Bridge said:
... and in the good ol' days, we used to have to build out own CPUs one valve at a time. Why the kids of today...

And I though it was hard and nerve-wrecking putting my new i5 into place :biggrin:

Related to What does a 4-bit Micro-processor do?

1. What is a 4-bit Micro-processor?

A 4-bit Micro-processor is a type of central processing unit (CPU) that can process 4 bits of data at a time. It is responsible for executing instructions and performing calculations in a computer system.

2. How does a 4-bit Micro-processor work?

A 4-bit Micro-processor works by receiving instructions from the computer's memory and executing them in a sequential order. It uses its 4-bit data bus to transfer data between the memory, input/output devices, and other components.

3. What are the advantages of using a 4-bit Micro-processor?

Some advantages of using a 4-bit Micro-processor include lower cost, less power consumption, and simpler design compared to processors with larger bit sizes. They are also suitable for basic computing tasks and can be easily integrated into small devices.

4. What are the limitations of a 4-bit Micro-processor?

One limitation of a 4-bit Micro-processor is its limited processing power and memory addressability. This means it can only handle smaller amounts of data and perform simpler calculations compared to processors with larger bit sizes. It may also not be suitable for more complex computing tasks.

5. How is a 4-bit Micro-processor different from a 8-bit or 16-bit processor?

A 4-bit Micro-processor is different from an 8-bit or 16-bit processor in terms of the amount of data it can process at a time. A 8-bit processor can handle 8 bits of data at a time, while a 16-bit processor can handle 16 bits. This means they have a higher processing power and can perform more complex tasks compared to a 4-bit processor.