What do you prefer - road to reality or brief history of time ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the sci-fi books of Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose. The speaker expresses a preference for Penrose's "Road to Reality" due to his use of mathematics and clear presentation of his own views. However, it is noted that some background knowledge and additional research may be necessary for a full understanding of the book.
where_the
I mean to say whose popular sci-books do you like more Stephen Hawking's or Roger Penrose 's ?

I like Penrose as he doesn't shy from using mathematics. So he is likely to present a better picture to the general public. And that may even ignite their interest in mathematics.

Also he states clearly where he is expressing his own views. And what's more there are exercises in his book too.

Science news on Phys.org
I like the "Road to Reality". Great book.

Thanks
Matt

I am reading Penrose's Road to Reality now. Whilst I do like the fact that, as you say, he doesn't shy away from bringing up all kinds of mathematics, if you've never encountered things like manifolds before, it's virtually impossible to get by reading only the book itself. You'll need to visit Wikipedia a fair amount and do some other research and practice problems. Penrose's book does have problems in it as footnotes, but there generally aren't many for each topic and I would therefore suggest finding rigorous exercises for that particular topic (e.g. Fourier series) online and doing them. It can make a lot of what he says easier to digest.

Related to What do you prefer - road to reality or brief history of time ?

1. What is the main difference between "Road to Reality" and "Brief History of Time"?

The main difference between these two books is their scope. "Road to Reality" is a comprehensive exploration of the fundamental laws of physics and mathematics, while "Brief History of Time" focuses more on the history and development of modern physics theories.

2. Which book is more suitable for a beginner in physics?

For beginners, "Brief History of Time" is often recommended as it provides a more accessible and understandable introduction to complex physics concepts. "Road to Reality" may be overwhelming for those without a strong background in math and physics.

3. Which book is more up-to-date with current scientific theories?

Both books were written several decades ago, but "Brief History of Time" has been updated with new editions to include more recent discoveries in physics. However, "Road to Reality" covers a wider range of topics and may still be relevant in many aspects.

4. Can these books be understood by non-scientists?

Both books are written for a general audience and do not require a deep understanding of science to be enjoyed. However, some concepts may still be difficult to grasp for non-scientists.

5. Which book do you personally prefer?

As a scientist, I appreciate the depth and breadth of information in "Road to Reality" and find it to be a valuable resource. However, for a more casual read, I enjoy "Brief History of Time" for its accessible explanations and thought-provoking concepts.