What do you mean by countably infinite ?

In summary, "countably infinite" refers to a set that can be counted in a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, such as the set of natural numbers itself or the set of even numbers. Sets that cannot be counted in this way, such as the set of real numbers, are considered uncountably infinite. The proof of a set's countability or uncountability often involves bijections and clever mathematical techniques, such as Cantor's diagonalization.
iVenky
What do you mean by "countably infinite"?

I just couldn't understand the meaning of countably infinite. I have seen some definitions but I couldn't get an insight. Could you please help me in understanding this term with some kind of an example?

Thanks a lot.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org

The most important example is [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex]. This is countably infinite by definition.

Furthermore, if there exists a bijection between [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] and a set X, then that set X is also called countably infinite.

As further examples, [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] is countably infinite as there exists a bijection between [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex]. The bijection in question is

[tex]0\rightarrow 0,~1\rightarrow -1,~2\rightarrow 1,~3\rightarrow -2,...[/tex]

So you send an even number 2n to n, and you send an odd number 2n+1 to -n-1.

Another example is the set of even numbers. This is also countably infinite. The bijection sends n to 2n. So 0 is sent to 0, 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 3 to 6, etc.

A little harder to prove is that [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is countably infinite.

A set that is NOT countable infinite is [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Read this FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507003

Last edited by a moderator:

So "countably infinite" means you can count like one, two, three so on.
You can't count real numbers between 0 and 1 like one, two, three.. so it should be an infinite space and not countably infinite.

Am I right?

iVenky said:
So "countably infinite" means you can count like one, two, three so on.
You can't count real numbers between 0 and 1 like one, two, three.. so it should be an infinite space and not countably infinite.

Am I right?

Yes, the reals are uncountable infinite. You can't label them one, two, three, four, etc. and expect to have them all.
The rigorous proof that the reals are uncountable uses Cantor's diagonalization and is a really neat trick in mathematics.

Countably infinite refers to a set that has an infinite number of elements that can be counted, meaning that each element in the set can be assigned a unique number. This is in contrast to uncountably infinite sets, which have an infinite number of elements that cannot be counted.

For example, the set of all natural numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, ...) is countably infinite because each number can be counted and assigned a unique number. However, the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 is uncountably infinite because there is an infinite number of numbers between 0 and 1 and they cannot be counted in a finite amount of time.

Another way to think about countably infinite sets is that they can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This means that for every element in the countably infinite set, there is a corresponding natural number and vice versa.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of countably infinite for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to What do you mean by countably infinite ?

What is the concept of countably infinite?

The concept of countably infinite refers to a set or collection of objects that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that the set has an infinite number of elements, but those elements can be counted or listed in a systematic way.

How is countably infinite different from uncountable infinite?

Countably infinite sets are smaller than uncountable infinite sets. Unlike countably infinite sets, uncountable infinite sets cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This means that the elements in an uncountable infinite set cannot be counted or listed in a systematic way.

Can countably infinite sets have real numbers?

Yes, countably infinite sets can have real numbers. In fact, the set of all integers (positive, negative, and zero) is an example of a countably infinite set that contains real numbers.

What are some examples of countably infinite sets?

Some examples of countably infinite sets include the set of natural numbers, the set of integers, the set of even numbers, and the set of odd numbers.

Why is understanding countably infinite important in mathematics?

Understanding countably infinite is important in mathematics because it helps in understanding the concept of infinity and how it can be applied in different mathematical concepts and theories. It also has applications in computer science, physics, and other fields of science.