What do the symbols in the equation for a damped harmonic oscillator represent?

In summary, the oscillator has an angular frequency (not velocity), describing the evolution of the phase of the oscillation... when w*t goes through 2pi the oscillation has gone through one cycle. One cycle is one rotation in complex displacement space if we use the identity sin[wt]=Im[exp[i*w*t]]A*e^{k*t}*sin(\omega*t+\theta_o) would be the more general case where the sin(\theta_o) at time, t=0, so that handles some initial displacement.
JolleJ
Hi there.

I'm having a problem explaining the physical meaning of the symbols in the equation for an underdamped Harmonic oscillator:

[tex]A*e^{k*t}*sin(w*t)[/tex]

I can see that A is the amplitude of the first swing, which we will not see, since sin(w*t)=0 for t=0.
Now k is the damping constant and something, I don't what more to say about that.

The last one, w, I find the hard one. I cannot tell, what this is. I mean, it's not the angular velocity, since this is changing. It is some sort of frequency?

Likewise, when the oscillator is not damped, and the equation is:

[tex]A*sin(w*t)[/tex]

What is the w here? Is the actual angualar speed here?
//EDIT:
Wait, I see that it cannot be angular speed here either, since this is of course also constantly changing, both in size and direction. I can't see, what it is. If someone could please exemplify it? Thanks. :)
//

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an angular frequency (not velocity), describing the evolution of the phase of the oscillation... when w*t goes through 2pi the oscillation has gone through one cycle.
One cycle is one rotation in complex displacement space if we use the identity sin[wt]=Im[exp[i*w*t]]

Thank you both very much!
However, I'm still having one problem. What is the period of the movement? I've heard that it's larger than for an undamped pendulum. Is this true? And also, is the period constant for a damped pendulum? I can't tell this from the equations, but some of you can maybe?

Thanks in advance.

What class is this for, physics I probably?

The period is T=2*pi/w [Hz]

Its the number of cycles each second of the body.

Your book should explain these things very clearly.

Keep asking questions and the math to your answers are going to get damn horrible real quick!

Related to What do the symbols in the equation for a damped harmonic oscillator represent?

What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a type of oscillating system where the amplitude of the oscillation decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force.

What is the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator is mx'' + cx' + kx = 0, where m is the mass, c is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

What factors affect the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The factors that affect the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator include the mass, damping coefficient, spring constant, initial displacement, and initial velocity.

What are the different types of damping in a damped harmonic oscillator?

The different types of damping in a damped harmonic oscillator include viscous/linear damping, Coulomb/velocity-squared damping, and hysteretic damping.

How does the damping coefficient affect the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient affects the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator by determining how quickly the amplitude of the oscillation decreases. A higher damping coefficient results in a faster decrease in amplitude, while a lower damping coefficient results in a slower decrease in amplitude.