What do the subscripts in the gradient notation represent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between forces and potential in a system of point masses. The notation ##\nabla_i## is used to represent the gradient of the potential with respect to the coordinates of particle ##i##, and the sub ##i## indicates which particle the gradient is being taken with respect to. This is similar to the notation ##\nabla_{\vec{r_k}}## used in the Virial Theorem, where ##\vec{r_k}## represents the coordinates of particle ##k##. The minus sign in the expression is conventional to ensure that the potential decreases when the force does work. The conversation also touches on the case of all particles moving in an external potential without interactions,
Nikitin
Hi!

Two exerts from my lecture notes:

"Assume we have a system of point masses in position ##\vec{r_i}## which are influenced by forces ##\vec{F_i}##."

"Let's say you have a system where ##\vec{F_i} = - \nabla_i V##"

In the second line, what does the notation ##\nabla_i## mean? Why is that sub ##i## there?

They use similar notation in here "##\nabla_{\vec{r_k}}##" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virial_theorem#Connection_with_the_potential_energy_between_particles

What does the r_k mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on particle ##i## is equal to the gradient of the potential with respect to the coordinates of particle ##i##.

Orodruin said:
The force on particle ##i## is equal to the gradient of the potential with respect to the coordinates of particle ##i##.
Shouldn't it instead be ##\vec{F_i} = \nabla V(\vec{r_i})## ?

No. The minus sign is conventional so that you decrease the potential when the force does work. Compare with gravitational potential in a homogeneous field. It increases with height and so has positive z derivative, yet the force points down.

Oh I forgot to add the minus sign. never mind that. What I was asking about were the indexes.

No, the potential is a function that involve all positions, which is why you need to specify which position you take the gradient with respect to. For example, if you have two charged particles, the potential will be a function of the distance between them, which is a function of both positions.

I think you are imagining the case when all of the particles move in an external potential with no inter-particle interactions. Then it will be possible to divide the potential into several contributions V(r1,r2,...) = U(r1) + U(r2) + ... Note that I here introduced the external potential U, which is a priori a different function than V - the total potential. Inserting this into the expression you were asking about will give you something like what you quoted, but as I said, this is not the general situation with interactions within the system.

Likes Nikitin
OK, I see. Thank you!

Related to What do the subscripts in the gradient notation represent?

What do the subscripts in the gradient notation represent?

The subscripts in the gradient notation represent the partial derivative with respect to each variable in the function.

Why are subscripts used in gradient notation?

Subscripts are used in gradient notation to indicate which variable the partial derivative is being taken with respect to. This is important because a function may have multiple variables, and the partial derivative will be different for each variable.

Do the subscripts in gradient notation change the value of the function?

No, the subscripts in gradient notation do not change the value of the function. They simply represent the partial derivative with respect to a specific variable.

How do you interpret the subscripts in gradient notation?

The subscripts in gradient notation can be interpreted as the direction in which the function is changing. For example, if the subscript is x, it represents the rate of change of the function in the x-direction.

Can the subscripts in gradient notation be negative?

Yes, the subscripts in gradient notation can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in that particular direction.