What do the fusion rules in CFT mean when coefficients are larger than 1?

In summary: The difference between having one way to fuse to that family instead of, say, two ways is that the first way corresponds to an isomorphism between the two representations, while the second way corresponds to a non-isomorphism.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi everyone,

This is a question about conformal field theory. Even though it is not directly about beyond the SM, it seems like an appropriate place to ask since it is an important tool in string theory.

I am confused by the fusion rules [itex] \phi_i ~ \phi_j = N^k_{ij} \phi_k [/itex]
(where as usual this is meant to be relating conformal families). My confusion is due to the fact that the N coefficients may in general be different from 0 or 1. What does it mean to have a coefficient larger than 1? Books mention in passing something about having several ways to fuse the families but they never explain and then stop talking about it because the entries of N are only 0 or 1 in the minimal models. Can someone shed some light on this?

thanks!

Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the fields are labelled by representations of some Lie group, e.g. you are studying some kind of sigma model with the group as a target space. Then an example of the phenomenon I think you are talking about is provided by SU(3). The tensor product of an octet with an octet contains two octets in the resulting direct sum of representations. Hence you can fuse to an octet in two different ways and so [itex] N^8_{88} = 2[/itex].

Is this what you wanted to know?

Physics Monkey said:
Imagine the fields are labelled by representations of some Lie group, e.g. you are studying some kind of sigma model with the group as a target space. Then an example of the phenomenon I think you are talking about is provided by SU(3). The tensor product of an octet with an octet contains two octets in the resulting direct sum of representations. Hence you can fuse to an octet in two different ways and so [itex] N^8_{88} = 2[/itex].

Is this what you wanted to know?

Hi Physics Monkey,

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. I had not thought about an analogy with Lie groups. Thanks, I have to absorb this. I can understand the situation in the context of group representations as I can think about counting the number of independent "states". But in the context of CFT, I thought that the fusion rules were simply stating whether a conforma family appears or not in the OPE of two fields. In that context, what is the difference between having one way to fuse to that family instead of, say, two ways? How does one see that there are two ways of fusing into a certain conformal family when one is working out the OPE explicitly?

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

Related to What do the fusion rules in CFT mean when coefficients are larger than 1?

1. What is CFT and what are fusion rules?

CFT stands for Conformal Field Theory, which is a mathematical framework used to describe physical systems at the quantum level. Fusion rules in CFT refer to the mathematical rules that govern how different quantum states combine or "fuse" together to form new states.

2. Why do some coefficients in fusion rules have values larger than 1?

In CFT, the coefficients in fusion rules represent the number of ways that two states can combine to form a third state. When these coefficients have values larger than 1, it means that there are multiple ways for the states to combine, leading to more complex and diverse physical systems.

3. How do larger coefficients in fusion rules affect the behavior of physical systems?

Larger coefficients in fusion rules can lead to more complex and diverse physical systems with a wider range of possible states. This can result in more diverse behavior and properties, making it difficult to predict the exact behavior of the system.

4. Can coefficients in fusion rules be negative?

No, coefficients in fusion rules cannot be negative. They represent the number of ways for states to combine, and negative values do not make sense in this context.

5. Are there any real-world applications of fusion rules in CFT?

Yes, CFT and fusion rules have been applied in various fields such as condensed matter physics, string theory, and statistical mechanics. They have also been used to describe systems in biology and finance.