What do the complex factors of a polynomial over C show about its graph?

• Thread starter noahsdev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the complex factors of a polynomial over C show the values of z that make the expression zero. Graphing a complex function involves a two-dimensional domain and range, making it difficult to fully graph. The complex roots of a polynomial may not necessarily have a direct impact on the graph of the real function.
noahsdev
I know how to factorize a polynomial over C, but what do complex factors show? Real factors show where the graph cuts the x-axis. I know how to do the calculations and pass the tests, but they never actually explain these type of things in textbooks. For example:
z3-8z2+25z-26 = (z-2)(z-3-2i)(z-3+2i)
The graph cuts the x-axis at z (or x) = 2, as expected, but what do the complex factors show?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They give the values of z that make the expression zero, i.e. the complex solutions of the equation
z3-8z2+25z-26 = 0

For a normal single-variable function ##f(x)## you have one independent variable, x, and one dependent variable, ##f##, which would be plotted using the y-axis. You give the function a single value of x, and it returns a single value of ##f(x)##.

When you are dealing with a complex function, i.e. ##f(z)##, you are really looking at a function of TWO independent variables, a and b. So, ##f(z)=f(a+ib)=f(z(a, b))##. The function ##f(z)## can't return any information unless you specify both a AND b. In other words, you have to give a fully defined complex number, which requires defining the real part AND the imaginary part.

When you graph a single variable function, you have one dimension which represents the domain (i.e. the x axis). Right to left represents the domain, while up and down represents the outputs of your function, or the range. This type of graph cannot work for a complex function, because a complex function has a two dimensional domain.

Do you know how to plot a complex number on the complex plane? Imagine slanting the complex plane so that it's horizontal, this is what the domain of a complex function ##f(z)## looks like. You can pick any number ##a+ib## and you can put it into ##f(z)##, simplify it, and get another complex number out. So do you see what I mean by the domain of a complex function being two dimensional? When you see a function ##f(x)## we are automatically assuming that this function doesn't take on complex numbers. The fact that it's listed as a single variable function implies that we only accept real values in the function. With this restriction, we can consider the domain being one dimensional and we can plot the function using a normal cartesian coordinate system. Unfortunately, if we place this restriction on the domain, we don't see the whole story. In particular, we can't see all the zeroes, we can only see the real zeroes.

If you were able to plot a complex function entirely so that its whole domain is visible, you would see that it has zeroes at all those points on the complex plane. For example, if ##f(z)## has a zero at ##z=\alpha+i\beta## then that means that ##f(\alpha+i\beta)=0##. Unfortunately, you can't really fully graph a complex function though because the domain is two dimensional and the range is also two dimensional, this means that the graph of a complex function exists in 4D space. There are ways to fully graph a complex function, but they can be quite confusing to interpret.

Whether or not the complex roots say anything about the REAL graph is another question though.

Related to What do the complex factors of a polynomial over C show about its graph?

1. What is a complex factor?

A complex factor is a mathematical term that refers to a number or quantity that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is often represented as a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part represented by the complex number i.

2. How is a complex factor different from a real factor?

A complex factor differs from a real factor in that a real factor only contains a real number, while a complex factor contains both a real and an imaginary part. Additionally, complex factors are used in complex numbers and have different mathematical properties than real numbers.

3. What are the applications of complex factors?

Complex factors have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems involving alternating currents, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and image processing.

4. How are complex factors used in everyday life?

Although complex factors may seem abstract and theoretical, they have practical applications in everyday life. For example, they are used in the design of electrical circuits, communication systems, and computer graphics. They also play a role in the study of waves, vibrations, and sound.

5. What are the properties of complex factors?

Complex factors have several important properties, including commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. They also follow the rules of multiplication and division, where the product of two complex factors is a complex factor and the quotient of two complex factors is also a complex factor. Additionally, complex factors can be represented geometrically as points on a complex plane.