What do Rcm and Rcmob represent in this fluid mechanics problem?

The density of the object is just used to find its mass. So, if you can understand the problem with a constant density for the object, then you should be able to understand it with a non-constant density as well.
iitjee10
Q2. An incompressible fluid with density ρ is in a horizontal test tube of inner cross-sectional area A. The test tube spins in a horizontal circle in an ultracentrifuge at an angular speed ω. Gravitational forces are negligible. Consider a volume element of the fluid of area A and thickness dr' at a distance r' from the rotation axis. The pressure on its inner surface is p and outer surface is p+dp.
(a) Show that dp=ρω2r'dr'.
(b) If the surface of the fluid is at a radius ro where the pressure is po, show that the pressure p at a distance r≥ro is p=po+ρω2(r2-ro2)/2.
(c) An object of volume V and density ρob has its centre of mass at a distance Rcmob from the axis. Show that the net horizontal force on the object is ρVω2Rcm, where Rcm is the distance from the axis to the center of mass of the displaced fluid.
(d) Explain why the object will move inward if ρRcmobRcmob and outward if ρRcmobRcmob.
(e) For small objects of uniform density, Rcm = Rcmob. What happens to a mixture of small objects of this kind with different densities in an unltracentrifuge?

This was a problem given in Sears and Zemansky (University Physics)

I have solved parts (a) and (b) of this problem completely. But I could not understand (rather visualise) what Rcm, and Rcmob stand for so was unable to proceed further.

Any help in visualising these terms would be of a great help

Physics news on Phys.org
iitjee10 said:
(c) An object of volume V and density ρob has its centre of mass at a distance Rcmob from the axis. Show that the net horizontal force on the object is ρVω2Rcm, where Rcm is the distance from the axis to the center of mass of the displaced fluid.
(d) Explain why the object will move inward if ρRcmobRcmob and outward if ρRcmobRcmob.
(e) For small objects of uniform density, Rcm = Rcmob. What happens to a mixture of small objects of this kind with different densities in an unltracentrifuge?

But I could not understand (rather visualise) what Rcm, and Rcmob stand for so was unable to proceed further.

Hi iitjee10! :smile:

It's not clear, but I think ρob is not constant (but ρ, the density of the fluid, is) …

so ρob = massob/V.

So the c.o.m. of the object is not at the centroid (where the c.o.m. of the displaced fluid would have been). :smile:

The density of the object has to be constant otherwise the problem here will become hopelessly complicated. This is what I think.

Anyone?

iitjee10 said:
But I could not understand (rather visualise) what Rcm, and Rcmob stand for so was unable to proceed further.
As explained in the problem statement, one is the distance to the center of mass of the displaced fluid while the other is the distance to the center of mass of the object. They are being very precise and picky!
iitjee10 said:
The density of the object has to be constant otherwise the problem here will become hopelessly complicated. This is what I think.
Not really. For example, part C really has nothing to do with the density of the object, just the force on it from the surrounding fluid.

Related to What do Rcm and Rcmob represent in this fluid mechanics problem?

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act on them. It is a fundamental area of study in engineering and many other disciplines.

What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the design of pumps, turbines, aircraft wings, and ships. It is also used in weather forecasting, oil and gas extraction, and the design of medical devices.

What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics include the study of fluid properties (such as density and viscosity), fluid statics (the study of fluids at rest), and fluid dynamics (the study of fluids in motion). These principles are governed by fundamental laws such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of conservation of mass, energy, and momentum.

What is the difference between a liquid and a gas in terms of fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, a liquid is considered to be incompressible, meaning its density remains constant regardless of the applied pressure. On the other hand, a gas is compressible, meaning its density can change with pressure. This difference in compressibility leads to different behaviors and equations used to study liquids and gases.

How is fluid mechanics used in engineering?

Fluid mechanics is used in various areas of engineering, such as in the design and analysis of fluid systems (e.g. pipes, pumps, and valves), aerodynamics (the study of air flow over objects), and hydrodynamics (the study of water flow). It is also used in the design of hydraulic and pneumatic systems, which are widely used in industries such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation.