What do pervading and aether mean?

In summary, "pervading" means filling or being everywhere and "aether" was the substance that Isaac Newton believed filled the universe. Newton's belief in the aether as a medium for light was later challenged by the concept of particles not needing a medium to propagate, but rather waves. The idea of light as a wave was proposed by Christian Huygens.
s3a
What do "pervading" and "aether" mean?

What do "pervading" and "aether" mean in: "Isaac Newton considered light to be a beam of particles that set the pervading aether vibrating." ?

I'm not taking a Quantum Mechanics course but I might in the future but either way, I'm interested in learning about it so I bought this book and that's the very first sentence and I already don't get it lol. Could someone please break this down so I can understand it?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

The "aether" was simply the substance that Newton believed filled the universe. "Pervading" simply means "filling" or "is everywhere".

Thanks!

I don't think Newton believed in aether though. Particles do not need a medium to propagate. Waves do. The hypothesis that light was some kind of wave propagating through the "luminiferous aether" (from lumen = light in latin) was put forward by Christian Huygens.

Dickfore said:
Waves do.
So I guess you consider the vacuum a medium.

Related to What do pervading and aether mean?

1. What is the definition of "pervading"?

Pervading refers to something that is present throughout or spread widely throughout a particular area or space.

2. What is the definition of "aether"?

Aether is a hypothetical substance believed by ancient philosophers to fill all space and be the medium through which light and other electromagnetic waves travel.

3. How are "pervading" and "aether" related?

Both "pervading" and "aether" refer to something that exists throughout or fills all space. "Pervading" is a more general term, while "aether" specifically refers to the hypothetical substance that was once believed to fill all space.

4. Is "pervading" the same as "ubiquitous"?

Not necessarily. While both words refer to something that is present throughout a particular space, "pervading" has a more subtle connotation compared to "ubiquitous" which implies something is present in a more obvious or overwhelming manner.

5. Are there any scientific studies or evidence that support the existence of aether?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence or studies that support the existence of aether. The concept was popular among ancient philosophers, but has since been disproven by modern scientific understanding of the nature of light and other electromagnetic waves.