What Distribution Best Models Passenger Queue Arrivals Within Fixed Timeframes?

• Thread starter mikey2322
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Queue
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of various distributions to model the rate of passenger arrivals within a fixed time period before a flight. The Poisson distribution is mentioned as a common choice, but there is also a discussion about altering the mean rate of arrivals within certain timeframes. The use of a Gamma distribution for actual arrival times and an exponential distribution for time between arrivals is also suggested. Other possible distributions, such as the Negative Binomial, may also be considered depending on the shape of the arrival rate.
mikey2322
Hi,

I am trying to assign a distribution to the the rate at which passengers enter a queue over a period of time. The period of time is to remain constant. Passengers start arriving 4 hours before a flight and stop arriving at the scheduled time of departure.

I have been using a Weibull distribution but I find that you cannot lock down the distribution to stay within the time period easily. I am looking for a distribution that I can lock to a certain time period and where I can alter the amplitude and wave length similar to WEIBULL. Is there a distribution curve that will allow this?

Mike

Attachments

• Example.xls
    14 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
In problems (random events within a fixed time interval) like this the Poisson distribution is usually used. The basic assumption is that the events (arrivals) are independent of each other.

mathman is correct that Poisson distributions are often used to model arrivals, but I'm confused by your following comment:

"a distribution that I can lock to a certain time period".

By this comment do you mean you want arrivals to completely start/stop at certain points, but that you want arrivals to be random within that timeframe, but at a different mean rate depending on the time (for example, the mean rate of arrival of passengers for a 2pm flight is 0 per hour before 8am, 5 per hour from 8 to 10am, 9 per hour from 10 to 1pm, 3 per hour from 1 to 2pm, and 0 per hour thereafter)?

To do this, you could vary the mean/variance parameter (the lambda parameter) that defines a Poisson r.v. which represents the rate of arrivals within each timeframe, and make the probability of zero arrivals = 1 before 8am and after 2pm (for example).

The actual arrival times will follow a Gamma distribution, and the time between arrivals will follow a exponential distribution, but the rate of arrivals per hour will be Poisson.

If you don't want the mean rate and the rate's variance to be equal, you could use the Negative Binomial distribution or other distributions depending on the shape you believe the rate of arrivals follows in reality.

Related to What Distribution Best Models Passenger Queue Arrivals Within Fixed Timeframes?

1. What is the purpose of passengers entering a queue?

The purpose of passengers entering a queue is to create an orderly and organized way for people to wait for their turn to board a vehicle or enter a designated area. This helps to prevent chaos and confusion, and allows for a more efficient and fair process.

2. Why is it important for passengers to enter a queue in a certain order?

Entering a queue in a specific order is important for maintaining fairness and ensuring that everyone has an equal chance to board a vehicle or enter an area. It also helps to prevent cutting in line and reduces the risk of accidents or injuries.

3. How do queue systems differ in different countries?

Queue systems can vary in different countries due to cultural norms and customs. For example, some countries may have stricter rules and etiquette when it comes to queuing, while others may have more relaxed or informal systems. Additionally, the layout and organization of queues may differ depending on the infrastructure and resources available in each country.

4. Are there any challenges that can arise when passengers enter a queue?

Yes, there can be challenges when passengers enter a queue, such as line cutting, queue jumping, or people not following the designated queue system. These challenges can lead to frustration and conflict among passengers, and may disrupt the efficiency of the queue.

5. How can queue systems be improved for passengers?

Queue systems can be improved for passengers by implementing clear and visible signage, providing adequate space for queuing, and having staff or volunteers to manage and direct the flow of the queue. Additionally, using technology such as virtual queuing or ticketing systems can also improve the overall experience for passengers.