What distinguishes operators from relations in mathematics?

In summary, the difference between an operator and a relation is that an operator is a function that is applied to functions, while a relation is a set of ordered pairs. The examples given, such as Add(2,3) and D(f(x)), can be considered both operators and relations depending on how they are interpreted. However, in common mathematical parlance, the term "operator" is often used to refer to functions that operate on other functions, while "relation" refers to a set of ordered pairs. The terms "function" and "functional" may also be used in this context.
Swapnil
I was wondering, what is the difference between an operator and a relation? For example, instead of saying 2+3 I can say Add(2,3). Or the [tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}[/tex] operator can be written as [tex]D(f(x))[/tex].

I fail to see any difference between an operator and a relation. What do you guys think?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know the definitions of "operator" and "relation"?

I don't see where any of those examples have to do with "relation".
Yes, 2+ 3 could be called Add(2,3) but neither of those is a relation.
Yes, [tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}[/tex] can also be written D(f(a)) but both of those are operators.

A "relation" is a set of ordered pairs. I don't see any "relations" in what you have written.

I am sorry, but I was trying not to use the term "function" to avoid ambiguity and ended up using the term "relation" to make my question even more illogical.

I am trying to use the term "function" is a loose sense. The sense where you think of it as a black box which spits out an output given an input. I don't know if there is a mathematical name for this entity...

So what I meant was that you can think of the an operator as the same entity, where you have a bunch of inputs and the operator combines the input in a specific way and spits out an output.

I am still podering about this question and I am sorry if my question sounds ambigious or silly.

Swapnil said:
I am sorry, but I was trying not to use the term "function" to avoid ambiguity and ended up using the term "relation" to make my question even more illogical.

I am trying to use the term "function" is a loose sense. The sense where you think of it as a black box which spits out an output given an input. I don't know if there is a mathematical name for this entity...

So what I meant was that you can think of the an operator as the same entity, where you have a bunch of inputs and the operator combines the input in a specific way and spits out an output.

I am still podering about this question and I am sorry if my question sounds ambigious or silly.

I would say you have done a step forward in the path to abstraction. Of course, the sum and the derivative are functions (or functionals). The only thing of their "strange" notation is that they are so common, and this strange notation has been used for so long, that it makes no sense to "standarize" their notation. Also, the notation is useful (less characters to type).

In common mathematical parlance, an "operator" is a function that is applied to functions. That is, the basic definition of "function" is that a function is a set of ordered pairs (a "relation") such that no two pairs have the same first member. There is nothing in that that says the members of the ordered pairs have to be numbers. In that sense, we can think of the derivative as a function that contains such ordered pairs as (x2, 2x), (sin x, cos x), and (ex, ex). Because the members of the ordered pairs are functions rather than numbers that is considered an "operator".

HallsofIvy said:
In common mathematical parlance, an "operator" is a function that is applied to functions. That is, the basic definition of "function" is that a function is a set of ordered pairs (a "relation") such that no two pairs have the same first member. There is nothing in that that says the members of the ordered pairs have to be numbers. In that sense, we can think of the derivative as a function that contains such ordered pairs as (x2, 2x), (sin x, cos x), and (ex, ex). Because the members of the ordered pairs are functions rather than numbers that is considered an "operator".

HallsofIvy, I do not know if this is purely "naming", but I would say that a "function" that is applied to "functions" is a functional (maybe this is more used in physics, though). Instead, an "operator" is something that may describe a "function" or a "functional". In functional analysis, for example, theorems are for operators, and they may apply either to spaces of finite dimension ("functions") to to spaces of infinite dimension ("functionals").

I wouldn't argue the point! I don't think "operator" is as precisely defined in mathematics as "function", "relation", or even "functional".

Related to What distinguishes operators from relations in mathematics?

1. What is an operator in mathematics?

An operator in mathematics is a symbol or function that represents a specific mathematical operation, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. It is used to manipulate numbers or variables in an expression to produce a result.

2. How do operators and operands work together?

Operators and operands work together to form mathematical expressions. An operand is a variable or value that an operator acts upon, while the operator specifies the type of calculation to be performed on the operands. The result of the operation is the output or solution.

3. What is the difference between arithmetic and logical operators?

Arithmetic operators are used to perform basic mathematical operations, while logical operators are used to compare values and determine the truth or falsity of a statement. Arithmetic operators include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, while logical operators include AND, OR, and NOT.

4. How do operators affect the order of operations in a mathematical expression?

Operators follow the order of operations, which is a set of rules that dictate the sequence in which operations should be performed in a mathematical expression. In general, expressions are evaluated from left to right, and parentheses can be used to change the order of operations.

5. What is a relation in mathematics?

A relation in mathematics is a set of ordered pairs that show the relationship between two sets of values. It can be represented by a graph, a table, or a mapping diagram. Relations can be classified as functions or non-functions, depending on whether each input value has a unique output value or not.