What distance is the magnitude of gravity equal between earth and moon?

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance from the center of the Earth to a point where the magnitude of the Earth's gravitational acceleration equals that of the moon's. The given information includes the distance from the center of the Earth to the center of the moon, the radius of the Earth and moon, and the acceleration of gravity at the moon's surface. To solve, one can use the formula a=GM/r^2 and solve for GM using the given values.
zakh4527

Homework Statement

At a point between the Earth and moon, the magnitude of the Earth's gravitational acceleration equals the magnitude of the moons gravitational acceleration. What is the distance of that point from the center of the earth? The distance from the center of the Earth to the center of the moon is 383000km and the radius of the Earth is 6370km. The radius of the moon is 1738km and the acceleration of gravity at it's surface is 1.62m/s^2.

Homework Equations

none given to work with.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to start this. What I tried was...

F=ma F=mMG/R^2 => a=GM/R^2

GMe/R^2 = GMm/(3.83E^8-R^2)

MmR^2=Me(3.83E^8-R^2)

R^2= Me(3.83E^8)/(Mm+Me)

where Mm= Mass of moon and Me = mass of earth.

The problem is I don't even know if I can use the masses of the Earth and moon because they were not given in the problem. Is there a way to do this without using mass?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You must use the masses. If not given then they expect you to look them up.

Otherwise your method is almost OK.

However,
GMe/R^2 = GMm/(3.83E^8-R^2)

Should be

GMe/R2 = GMm/(3.383*108- R)2

Edit: Note I see in looking again they maybe expect you to calculate based on the radius and values of g on Earth and moon.

Note as I realize on second reflection, you can figure the G*M of Earth and moon from the additional information they supply.

a = GM/r2

a*r2 = GM

Where r is the radius at the surface that a is measured.

Thanks! Yeah, actually I was leaning towards the idea of solving fro GM. Thanks for pointing out the (3.383*108- R)^2

Related to What distance is the magnitude of gravity equal between earth and moon?

1. What is the distance between the Earth and the Moon?

The average distance between the Earth and the Moon is approximately 238,855 miles. This distance can vary slightly due to the Moon's elliptical orbit around the Earth.

2. At what distance is the magnitude of gravity equal between the Earth and the Moon?

The magnitude of gravity between the Earth and the Moon is always equal, regardless of their distance from each other. This is because the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

3. How does the distance between the Earth and the Moon affect the magnitude of gravity?

The further apart two objects are, the weaker the force of gravity between them. However, the distance between the Earth and the Moon does not affect the magnitude of gravity, as it is always constant between the two bodies.

4. Is the distance between the Earth and the Moon the only factor that affects the magnitude of gravity between them?

No, the magnitude of gravity between the Earth and the Moon is also affected by their masses. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

5. How is the distance between the Earth and the Moon measured?

The distance between the Earth and the Moon is typically measured using a unit called a lunar distance (LD). One LD is equal to the average distance between the Earth and the Moon, or approximately 238,855 miles.