What Direction Will a Motorcycle Travel When Exiting a Van Moving at 100mph?

• Thread starter tedmagnum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, there is a picture of a van traveling forwards at 100mph and a motorcycle being ridden forwards out of the van at 20mph off a ramp. The conversation discusses the direction the bike will be traveling in as it leaves the ramp, with some people believing it will travel in the same direction as the van and others thinking it will immediately travel in the opposite direction. It is also mentioned that the bike will eventually come to a stop and start traveling in the opposite direction as the van under its own power. The discussion also brings up the potential for a crash and questions whether the bike's wheels are free to change speed or if the rear wheel is hard driven by an engine. In summary, the bike will
tedmagnum
Settle an argument please !

Look at the picture. The van is traveling forwards at 100mph.

A motorcycle is ridden forwards out the van, off a ramp at 20mph.

1) what direction will the bike front wheel be traveling as it leaves the ramp.
2) What direction will the whole bike be traveling as it rolls of the ramp
3) What direction will the bike be traveling at when both wheels exit the ramp.

I believe the front wheel will hit the tarmac, skid to a stop then start traveling in the same direction as the van wheels.

As the rear wheel exits the van, it will also skid to a halt and also start turning at at the same direction as the van wheels. The bike then will be traveling in reverse, in the same direction as the van until it comes to a stop, then will start traveling in the opposite as the van under its own power.

I think you would have to leave the ramp at more than 100mph to make the bike be travel immediatly in the opposite direction as the van.

Others think the bike will travel in the opposite direction as the van as soon as it exits the van if the bike is traveling at 20mph.

please ignore the potential to crash etc !

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7961/vanju9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends. Are the bike's wheels free to change speed (are they freewheeling at the moment of contact with the road)? Or is just the front wheel free to change speed (with a chirp), but the rear wheel is hard driven at 20mph by an engine?

Reminds me of KITT coming out of the service truck on Knight Rider. :biggrin: I always wondered how many tires they burned through on that show.

when you say 20mph, do you mean with respect to the van, or with respect to the ground?

The bike exits the van at 80mph going backwards, in the same direction as the van, a crash will soon follow.

Lets assume the bike is free wheeling. The initial velocity of the bike will be 80 mph in the direction the truck is traveling. The tires will at first skid, then reverse their direction of rotation from 20 mph counter clockwise to clockwise in the direction of travel. Losses will be due to friction and the energy required to accelerate the wheel mass in the opposite direction until they catch up with the road surface. I would guess the bike would end up traveling around 70 mph in the direction of the truck. At 100 mph, the bike would basically come to a dead stop

Related to What Direction Will a Motorcycle Travel When Exiting a Van Moving at 100mph?

1. What is the best way to settle an argument?

The best way to settle an argument is to have an open and honest discussion with the other person. Listen to their perspective and try to understand their point of view. Then, calmly express your own thoughts and try to find a compromise or solution that satisfies both parties.

2. How do you determine who is right in an argument?

In most cases, there is no clear right or wrong in an argument. It is important to remember that everyone has their own opinions and perspectives. Instead of trying to prove who is right, focus on understanding each other and finding a resolution.

3. How can I prevent arguments from becoming heated or aggressive?

To prevent arguments from escalating, it is important to communicate calmly and respectfully. Avoid using accusatory language and listen to the other person without interrupting. If things do start to become heated, take a break and come back to the discussion when both parties have cooled down.

4. Is it better to apologize or stand my ground in an argument?

It depends on the situation and the argument at hand. If you have made a mistake or hurt someone's feelings, it is important to apologize and take responsibility for your actions. However, if you strongly believe in your position and have valid reasons for it, it is okay to stand your ground and defend your beliefs.

5. What should I do if the other person refuses to settle the argument?

If the other person is not willing to have a productive discussion or find a resolution, it may be best to take a step back and reassess the situation. You can try to approach the topic again at a later time or seek the help of a mediator or neutral third party to help facilitate a conversation and find a resolution. Ultimately, it is important to prioritize your own well-being and mental health in any argument.