What Direction Should Ship A Steer to Minimize Distance to Ship B?

In summary, Bob, your method will give you the closest distance between two points while taking into account their direction. However, if you do not know the direction, then you can use a relative velocity diagram to solve for the path angle between the two points.
thepopasmurf
I'm studying for an exam and this is one of the sample questions which I cannot figure out.

Homework Statement

Two ships A and B move with constants speeds 48 km/h and 60 km/h respectively. At a certain instant ship B is 30 km west of A and is traveling due south. Find:

i) The direction ship A should steer in order to get a close as possible to ship B.

Homework Equations

Vab = Va - Vb

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, Vb = 0i - 60j
Va = -48cosxi - 48sinxj
and therefore
Vab = -48cosxi + (60 - 48sinx)j

I have drawn diagrams to help but I can't figure out the right angle. I tried differentiation to find the lowest possible value for j (they are already horizontally across from each other) but I got 1 for an answer which I know is not correct. Any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried relating each 'line' between objects as vector?

The Bob

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

When you drew your diagrams, you must have had a series of velocity vectors relating to the velocities of the ships. By using x = vt you could also obtain position vectors for each of the lines in your diagram. Doing this you could use normal addition of vectors to find your unknown, in this case the closest distance between A and B, and find an equation to be solved for it.

As this may still be confusing then let me give you my first line and see if that helps:
xAB = -vBt + 30i + vAt

where xAB is to be the distance between A and B, vA is the velocity vector of A, vB is the velocity vector of B, 30i is the distance between A and B initially, t is time and I have assumed that the closest distance between A and B must be on the same trajectory as A will initally head to get to this point.

That make any sense whatsoever?

The Bob

Bob, Your method I think will give the closest distance given a direction. (I think, haven't studied it yet). I don't know the direction. But I solved it. Using a relative velocity diagram you can derive a formula which relates the path (angle) of A to its angle. Then the cure all for all these max/min questions. Calculus. You can differentiate the values (sorry for being vague) and get the answer.

Far enough. It would be hard, I admit, but possible to solve with the two unknown variables. However, if you are happy with your (far-easier-it-should-have-been-staring-us-in-the-face) method then cool. Glad you've got it and that I was no help whatsoever.

The Bob

Related to What Direction Should Ship A Steer to Minimize Distance to Ship B?

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It is the difference in velocities between two objects in motion.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object. The resulting number is the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed reference point, such as the ground. Relative velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This means that the two objects are moving in opposite directions. For example, if a car is travelling east at 50 km/h and another car is travelling west at 30 km/h, their relative velocity would be -20 km/h.

5. How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between objects. The relative velocity at the moment of impact can determine the direction and magnitude of the resulting forces. This is important in understanding the physics of collisions and predicting the outcome of different scenarios.