What Differentiates Work Done by a Spring vs Work Required to Stretch It?

In summary, the difference between "the work required to stretch a spring" and "the work done by a spring" is that the former refers to the work done by an external force to stretch the spring, while the latter refers to the work done by the spring itself as it is being stretched. When the spring is stretched, it gains potential energy, which is equal to the work required to stretch it. When the spring is released, it does negative work on the external force, resulting in a decrease in potential energy.
daivinhtran

Homework Statement

What is the difference between "the work required to stretch a spring" and "the work done by a spring"?

Homework Equations

Fdx = dW
F (from the spring)= -kx
so, F (from me) = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried and I found out the work required to stretch a spring x1 to x2 is(1/2)k(x2^2 - x1^1)

and "the work don't by a spring" when it's released from x1 to x2 is the same thing but in opposite sign

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
daivinhtran said:
I have tried and I found out the work required to stretch a spring x1 to x2 is(1/2)k(x2^2 - x1^1)

and "the work don't by a spring" when it's released from x1 to x2 is the same thing but in opposite sign

Am I right?
Yes, except for the word "released". When you stretch the spring from x1 to x2, you do positive work on the spring--that's the work required to stretch the spring, which becomes spring potential energy. At the same time, as the spring is being stretched it is doing negative work on you.

Doc Al said:
Yes, except for the word "released". When you stretch the spring from x1 to x2, you do positive work on the spring--that's the work required to stretch the spring, which becomes spring potential energy. At the same time, as the spring is being stretched it is doing negative work on you.

Thank you
I meant "released" as in another situation.
If the spring is already compressed and then is released from x1 to x2
the work done by the spring is -(1/2)k(x2^2 - x1^1) (because the force is pointing in opposite direction.

I'm still confused when you say "that's the work required to stretch the spring, which becomes spring potential energy." By the definition the ΔU= - W(done by the spring) , not by me though

Doc Al said:

Can you explain me please?

daivinhtran said:
Thank you
I meant "released" as in another situation.
If the spring is already compressed and then is released from x1 to x2
If it's compressed and being released, then x1 > x2. Right?
the work done by the spring is -(1/2)k(x2^2 - x1^1) (because the force is pointing in opposite direction.
This is confusing, since I don't know if x1 > x2.

I'm still confused when you say "that's the work required to stretch the spring, which becomes spring potential energy." By the definition the ΔU= - W(done by the spring) , not by me though
If W is the work done by the spring, then -W is the work done by you. If you stretch the spring, the spring does negative work. (Since force and displacement are opposite.) Thus you do positive work and ΔU is positive.

Doc Al said:

Doc Al said:
If it's compressed and being released, then x1 > x2. Right?

This is confusing, since I don't know if x1 > x2.

If W is the work done by the spring, then -W is the work done by you. If you stretch the spring, the spring does negative work. (Since force and displacement are opposite.) Thus you do positive work and ΔU is positive.

I finally got it...

Related to What Differentiates Work Done by a Spring vs Work Required to Stretch It?

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a force field.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy that an object has due to its motion.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some common examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a book sitting on a shelf.

4. How is potential energy related to work?

Potential energy is related to work through the principle of conservation of energy. When work is done on an object, its potential energy can change. For example, lifting an object against gravity increases its potential energy.

5. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This often occurs when the reference point for potential energy is chosen at a lower point than the object's initial position. For example, a ball sitting on the ground has a potential energy of 0, but if the reference point is set at the top of a hill, the ball would have negative potential energy at ground level.