What did you want to be career wise when you were younger?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the conversation revolved around the various dreams and aspirations of the participants when they were younger. Some wanted to be wrestlers, independently wealthy, or own a log cabin in Oregon. Others aspired to join the military or become a sportsman, a firefighter, or a TV weather presenter. As they grew older, their dreams changed and evolved, with some still holding onto their childhood dreams. Despite their dreams not coming true as a profession, they still pursue them as hobbies or passions. The conversation also touched on the idea that life itself is like acting and that the difficult part is writing understandable stories.
hbk4894
when i was about 11 i wanted to be a wrestler and even said i would join wrestling school at 16 , didnt happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted to be independently wealthy and not work, didn't happen.

Honest to God, ask my parents, when I was younger, my dream was to buy a log cabin in Oregon and raise wild dogs and squirrels.

Likes lonely_nucleus, collinsmark, Cruz Martinez and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Honest to God, ask my parents, when I was younger, my dream was to buy a log cabin in Oregon and raise wild dogs and squirrels.
So did that happened?

Raghav Gupta said:
So did that happened?
No yet, some day... :smile:

Likes lonely_nucleus and Raghav Gupta
From about 3 to 18 my dream was to join the military and be a soldier. Almost happened! :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
You could still do that! You just have to convince the wife. :))

I'm doing pretty much, more or less, what I wanted to do.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Astronuc said:
You could still do that! You just have to convince the wife. :))
I bet she'd be down for that :biggrin:

Likes lonely_nucleus
Greg Bernhardt said:
I bet she'd be down for that :biggrin:
The area around Bend/Sunriver is nice, but so are the areas around La Grande and Baker City. Nice forests and mountain.

Greg Bernhardt said:
[...] my dream was to buy a log cabin in Oregon and raise wild dogs and squirrels.
Presumably you mean reasonably friendly wild dogs?

If so, istm that PF is not so far away from that. There are definitely various species of wild creatures roaming around here, e.g., the grizzly bear in post #9 above. :biggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I wanted to be a sportsman and sometimes western movies sheriff... of course with a horse...

Until I was about six years old I wanted to be a fire truck.

When I was 10 I wanted to be a ninja... just like Storm Shadow!

I ended up a little more like Chris Farley.

I was a pyromaniac as a little kid... aaaand wanted to become a firefighter. It doesn't have to make sense :wideeyed:

TV weather forecast presenter.

airline pilot

Evo said:
I wanted to be independently wealthy and not work, didn't happen.
At this point, I'd settle for dependently wealthy.

astronaut, ee, doctor, solider, scientists now it's applied mathematican, ee, cs, general surgeon, geneticist, neuroscience and defence contractor. lol:woot: i'll also be studying some chem, physics, and bio(botany) to go with that.

My dreams have changed so many times. I wanted to be a professional athlete, then I wanted to be a stuntman, then I wanted to be a scientist, then I wanted to be an actor, and I still do want to be an actor. None of those have been accomplished as a profession. I act, but don't get paid for it. Maybe one day.

I tink most of life is acting. but writing understandable stories is the hard part.

Related to What did you want to be career wise when you were younger?

1. What sparked your interest in pursuing a career in science?

As a child, I was always curious about how things worked and loved conducting experiments. I also had a passion for understanding the natural world and solving problems. This led me to develop an interest in science and a desire to pursue it as a career.

2. Did you always know you wanted to be a scientist?

No, I actually wanted to be an astronaut when I was younger. However, as I grew older, I realized that my love for science and research was stronger and that being a scientist would allow me to explore my interests and make a meaningful impact on society.

3. What challenges did you face in pursuing a career in science?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was the lack of representation and diversity in the field. As a woman, I had to work harder to prove myself and overcome gender stereotypes. Additionally, the competitive nature of the field and the constant need to secure funding for research projects can also be challenging.

4. How did your career goals change as you grew older?

Initially, I was focused on becoming a research scientist and contributing to scientific discoveries. However, as I gained more experience and knowledge, I realized that I also wanted to share my passion for science with others. This led me to pursue a career in academia, where I can conduct research and teach the next generation of scientists.

5. What advice do you have for young individuals interested in pursuing a career in science?

My advice would be to never stop asking questions and never give up on your curiosity and passion for learning. Science is a constantly evolving field, and there is always something new to discover. Also, don't be afraid to take risks and try new things, as this is often where the most groundbreaking discoveries are made.