What Did Hubble See On Your Birthday?

• B
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hubble
In summary, the conversation discusses what the Hubble Space Telescope has captured on various people's birthdays. The Hubble has captured a range of events such as the landing on the Moon, cosmic collisions between galaxies, and views of galaxy clusters. Some participants found their birthday photos more interesting than others, while one person apologized for potentially creating a duplicate thread on this topic.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mine's cool:

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 12.47.11 PM.png

• Love
  • Wow
Likes davenn and Klystron
In 1969 they landed on the Moon on my birthday. You can't get cooler than that!

• Love
Likes JCMacaw, BillTre and davenn
PeroK said:
In 1969 they landed on the Moon on my birthday. You can't get cooler than that!
cool ...
They ( Apollo 11) took of from Earth on my birthday 16 July . I was 10 yrs old

Dave

On July 16 in 2006

Galaxy ESO 239-2

ESO 239-2 is the result of a cosmic collision between galaxies that will eventually result in a larger "elliptical" galaxy. The intermediate stage captured here shows a galaxy with long tails of dust and gas that envelope the galaxy's core.

july-16-2019-galaxy-eso-239-2.jpg

Likes BillTre
To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Hubble Space Telescope, NASA has created a website where you can enter your birthday, and it will show what Hubble was looking at on that same day (not same year).

Here's mine. It was viewing galaxy clusters, which it does a lot of, I think.
january-2-2019-galaxy-cluster-sdss-j1004-4112.jpg

Zz.

Likes davenn and Borg
Looks like it was cloudy on my birthday.

october-22-2019-horsehead-nebula.jpg

Likes berkeman, davenn and Klystron
Borg said:
Looks like it was cloudy on my birthday.

View attachment 260796

Wow! I think that is more spectacular than my birthday photo.

Zz.

1587071108404.jpeg

Nothing to see here... move along... nothing to see here...

• Haha
Likes davenn and Borg
Ugh! Apologies to @fresh_42 . I should have checked to see if a thread on this has already been created!

Zz.

1. What is Hubble and how does it work?

Hubble is a powerful space telescope that was launched into orbit in 1990. It uses a large mirror and advanced technology to capture images and data from distant objects in space.

2. What did Hubble see on my birthday?

Hubble has captured images of many different objects in space on different dates, including your birthday. To find out what Hubble saw on your birthday, you can use the Hubble Space Telescope website or other online resources to search for images taken on that specific date.

3. How does Hubble capture images?

Hubble uses a combination of mirrors, lenses, and detectors to capture images of objects in space. The telescope's primary mirror reflects light onto smaller mirrors and then onto the camera, which records the images.

4. What kind of objects can Hubble see?

Hubble can see a wide range of objects in space, including stars, galaxies, planets, and nebulae. It can also capture images of objects that emit different types of light, such as infrared and ultraviolet.

5. How has Hubble contributed to our understanding of the universe?

Hubble has made numerous groundbreaking discoveries and has greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe. It has helped us learn more about the age and expansion of the universe, the formation of galaxies, and the existence of dark matter and dark energy. It has also provided stunning images of distant objects that have inspired and fascinated people around the world.