What Determines the Load Line of a Transistor?

In summary, the load line of transistor depends on resistor of base or resistor of collector?depending on resistor of collector and resistor of emitter .
Outrageous
The load line of transistor depends on resistor of base or resistor of collector ?
Or both?

thank

Engineering news on Phys.org
depend on resistor of collector and resistor of emitter .
Then for fixed bias circuit , it can also depend on resistor of base?

Thank

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are asking, so I am sorry if this doesn't answer your question. I believe that if the bias of the base-emitter junction stays the same, then the current through the transistors emitter-collector path solely depends on the voltage across it. Adding a resistor in series with the emitter-collector would reduce the current through it. Is that what you were asking?

Outrageous said:
The load line of transistor depends on resistor of base or resistor of collector ?
Or both?

thank

What do you mean by resistor of the base? if you mean resistance at the base, then the answer is NO. The load line doesn't depend on the resistance seen by the base. Load line is PARTLY depending on the resistance at the collector and the supply voltage. But it also depends on the base current.

Load line is drawn on the graph of collector curve of Ic vs Ib at given collector voltage. You have multiple collector curve of different Ib. It is the base current you concern with, the resistance at the base is irrelevant as long as you can drive the base current.

Sorry for poor description
Thank Drakkith and yungman

yungman said:
if you mean resistance at the base, then the answer is NO. The load line doesn't depend on the resistance seen by the base. Load line is PARTLY depending on the resistance at the collector and the supply voltage. But it also depends on the base current

I think this is the answer I want. Thanks

For a common emitter arrangement, the load line is a straight line plot of IC vs VC, and it neatly superimposes on the transistor characteristic of IC vs VCE. The load line slope is determined by RC + RE.

http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Neither base resistance nor base current play any part* in determining the load line.

The load line is determined by the external circuit (Vcc , RC, and RE) and is independent of the device, so with those parameters fixed the load line remains the same whether you plug in a transistor, a diode, or a resistor.

I hope that helps. http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4666/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
In an indirect way, base current have a part in it, because different Ib setup different Ic curves that generates the load line...Even if we assume linear relation between Ib and Ic as Ic=βXIb.

Load line is device dependent because different devices have different early voltage that create different slope on the flat part of the collector curve, which, determine the load line.

yungman said:
In an indirect way, base current have a part in it, because different Ib setup different Ic curves that generates the load line...Even if we assume linear relation between Ib and Ic as Ic=βXIb.

Load line is device dependent because different devices have different early voltage that create different slope on the flat part of the collector curve, which, determine the load line.
We might be talking about different things, because what I know as the load line is device independent. I need assume nothing about the device, because load line is determined not by the device but by the external linear* circuit. The external circuit constrains the device to operate along a line on the I vs V graph, and the device cannot deviate off that load line.

Example: for a simple arrangement with RE=0, then VC=VCC - ICRC, and (despite what you assumed because of the nomenclature) I actually haven't yet indicated whether the device I am using is a BJT, a diode, an SCR, a resistor, or whatever. But the load line of its operation is already precisely defined as that straight line. That's the beauty of the load line concept, it's simplicity.
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4666/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Determines the Load Line of a Transistor?

1. What is the load line of a transistor?

The load line of a transistor is a graphical representation of the relationship between the collector current and collector voltage of a transistor. It is used to determine the operating point of the transistor in a circuit.

2. How is the load line of a transistor plotted?

To plot the load line of a transistor, the transistor's characteristics (such as its collector current and voltage ratings) are usually provided in a datasheet. The load line is then drawn on a graph by plotting the maximum collector voltage on the x-axis and the maximum collector current on the y-axis. The slope of the line is determined by the transistor's load resistance.

3. Why is the load line important?

The load line is important because it helps determine the operating point of the transistor in a circuit. This point is crucial for ensuring that the transistor operates within safe and stable limits, and for optimizing its performance.

4. How does the load line affect the performance of a transistor?

The load line affects the performance of a transistor by determining its operating point. If the transistor is biased too close to the saturation or cutoff regions, it can cause distortion or damage to the circuit. The load line also affects the gain and linearity of the transistor.

5. Can the load line change in a circuit?

Yes, the load line can change in a circuit depending on factors such as changes in the supply voltage or variations in the load resistance. It is important to consider these changes when designing a circuit to ensure that the transistor operates within safe and desired limits.