What Determines the Electric Field Magnitude at Half the Radius of a Solenoid?

In summary, the problem involves a long solenoid with radius R, length L, and number of windings N, with a changing current I. The goal is to determine the magnitude of the electric field at a distance R/2 from the axis of the solenoid. The equation used is μ0(dI/dt)(N/L)R/4, where μ0 is a constant and R/4 accounts for the distance from the axis. The 4 in the denominator is derived from the equation and accounts for any divisible action of R.
freddy13

Homework Statement

A long solenoid of radius R, length L (which
is much longer than R), number of windings
N, has a current I that is changing in time at
a rate (dI/dt). What is the magnitude of the
electric eld a distance R=2 from the axis of
the solenoid?

Homework Equations

μ0(N/L)I

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I had this completely right until I get to the R/2 Part. if you just throw the R/2 part into the equation, then you get the B field I believe, but the answer is: μ0(dI/dt)(N/L)R/4.

I am not seeing where the 4 in the denominator comes from unless we had some kind of divisible action of R going on somewhere, or something. Not really sure how to proceed!

Physics news on Phys.org
freddy13 said:

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude of the
electric eld a distance R=2 from the axis of
the solenoid?

!

Start by stating the problem correctly. What do you mean by "R=2"? Did you mean R/2? 2R?

Related to What Determines the Electric Field Magnitude at Half the Radius of a Solenoid?

1. What is an electric field of a solenoid?

The electric field of a solenoid is a type of electromotive force that is generated by a coil of wire with an electric current running through it. It is characterized by a uniform and strong magnetic field inside the solenoid.

2. How is the electric field of a solenoid calculated?

The electric field of a solenoid can be calculated using the equation E = µ0 * N * I / L, where µ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and L is the length of the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a solenoid?

The strength of the electric field of a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the length of the solenoid. The material and diameter of the coil can also play a role in the strength of the electric field.

4. What is the direction of the electric field inside a solenoid?

The direction of the electric field inside a solenoid is parallel to the axis of the solenoid. This means that the electric field lines run from one end of the solenoid to the other.

5. How is the electric field of a solenoid used in practical applications?

The electric field of a solenoid is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in scientific research and experiments, as well as in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines.