What Determines the Charge of an Object in Electrostatic Induction?

In summary: If B is net positive, where did some electrons in B go?In summary, a body will maintain a constant negative electrostatic charge if it maintains the same excess of electrons. This is why option 1) is the correct answer. In regards to the second conversation, when a negatively charged rod A is used to induce a positive charge on rod B, the charge on B becomes net positive. When object C then comes into direct contact with rod B, it will also become positively charged due to the transfer of electrons. This is why option 1) is the correct answer for the charge on object C. The key difference is that induction only affects the distribution of charges, while conduction actually transfers charges.
MIA6
1. A body will maintain a constant negative electrostatic charge if the body
1) Maintains the same excess of electrons. 3) Continuously receives more electrons than it loses.
I chose 3) but I think both choices work. However, the correct answer is 1), I don’t why 3) is wrong.

2. Negatively charged rod A is used to charge rod B by induction. Object C is then charged by direct contact with rod B. The charge on object C
1) is positive 3) is negative.
I chose 3) because when negative charged rod A moves close to one end of rod B, the electrons in rod B would gather at the other end, so left the opposite end all positive. After that, when C comes to contact with rod B, it depends on which end it touches. I am little confused. If it touches the negative end, then C becomes negative; vice versa. But the answer was 1).

thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org

MIA6 said:
1. A body will maintain a constant negative electrostatic charge if the body
1) Maintains the same excess of electrons. 3) Continuously receives more electrons than it loses.
I chose 3) but I think both choices work. However, the correct answer is 1), I don’t why 3) is wrong.

2. Negatively charged rod A is used to charge rod B by induction. Object C is then charged by direct contact with rod B. The charge on object C
1) is positive 3) is negative.
I chose 3) because when negative charged rod A moves close to one end of rod B, the electrons in rod B would gather at the other end, so left the opposite end all positive. After that, when C comes to contact with rod B, it depends on which end it touches. I am little confused. If it touches the negative end, then C becomes negative; vice versa. But the answer was 1).

thanks for help.

1. The operative word is Constant. Unchanging. Stays the same.

2. If B's charge is affected by induction, it will be net positive and then it will be a sink for electrons when it is touched by C, imparting a net positive to C as well.

LowlyPion said:
2. If B's charge is affected by induction, it will be net positive and then it will be a sink for electrons when it is touched by C, imparting a net positive to C as well.

But induction is not conduction, why B will be net positive? If B is positive orginally, it's still postive; if it's negative, it will still be negative.

MIA6 said:
But induction is not conduction, why B will be net positive? If B is positive orginally, it's still postive; if it's negative, it will still be negative.

A is negative. Induction makes B net positive. Touching neutral C to B makes C net positive too.

LowlyPion said:
A is negative. Induction makes B net positive. Touching neutral C to B makes C net positive too.

If B is net positive, where did some electrons in B go?

Related to What Determines the Charge of an Object in Electrostatic Induction?

1. How does an electrostatic rod work?

An electrostatic rod works by creating an imbalance of electric charges on its surface. When the rod comes in contact with another object, the charges transfer, causing that object to become either positively or negatively charged.

2. How can I use an electrostatic rod for my homework?

An electrostatic rod can be used for homework by demonstrating principles of static electricity, such as attraction and repulsion between charged objects. It can also be used to conduct experiments and measurements related to electrostatics.

3. How do I charge an electrostatic rod?

An electrostatic rod can be charged by rubbing it with a material that has a different affinity for electrons, such as a cloth or fur. This causes the electrons to transfer from one object to the other, resulting in a buildup of electric charges on the surface of the rod.

4. Can an electrostatic rod be used for anything other than homework?

Yes, electrostatic rods have various practical applications in industries such as printing, painting, and powder coating. They can also be used in scientific experiments and demonstrations, as well as for entertainment purposes.

5. Is it safe to use an electrostatic rod for homework?

Yes, electrostatic rods are generally safe to use for homework as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to avoid touching the rod while it is charged, and to discharge it before handling it. It is also recommended to use low voltage electrostatic rods for safety purposes.