How to Overclock an AMD Duron 1 GHz: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: Success at overclocking depends highly on the CPU. CPUs are rated for speed at the factory by testing them in batches. They are designed to be one speed say 1000Ghz and then tested for that speed, if they fail the test for some reason, they are dropped back to the next speed, say 950, and tested again. Your 800 may be a 1000 that failed a test or two for some reason. If this is the case you can safely push it forward in speed, but it may fail to perform properly for one reason or another. Then again, it may have passed the first test and already be performing at its peak and may not overclock well.
Saint
I got an AMD Duron 1 GHz,
can I overclock it?

My motherboard Bios program does not offer feature to overclock .

Computer science news on Phys.org
You'll need to connect some bridges on the front of the chip with either a lead pencil or with solder. Then in your bios the multiplier option will be unlocked and you can adjust to overclock. Here is a tutorial.

http://www.amdworld.co.uk/oc2.htm [Broken]

Last edited:
How can we make sure the electrical conductivity of lead is good ?

Just want to ask, why AMD can not catch up with Intel in terms of clock speed? What difficulty does AMD face in its technology ?

Just want to ask, why AMD can not catch up with Intel in terms of clock speed? What difficulty does AMD face in its technology ?

What makes you think they can't? They both have a 3ghz processor.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt

AMD claims the performance is 3GHz, but actual clock speed is <3GHz.

Well, no. AMD is using performance ratings. Their 3000+ runs at like 2500mhz.

Saint, its not quite as simple as just mhz rules. AMD processors can execute more instructions per clock cycle than Intel's. Intel's p3 can execute more instructions per clock cycle than the p4. In general, the two are opposed to each other - Intel made a calculated decision with the p4 in lowering the efficiency of the chip in order to increase the clock speed. AMD's next chip will do the same thing.

Technologically, the two companies are very close and have been for the past 4 years.

I read that Intel will roll out 0.09micron processor, and the socket will change.

Therefore, please pull the break if you can wait to upgrade your PC.

can i do the same with my old 800 mhz celeron?

My recommendation as a system builder is if you want to run your processor faster, buy a faster processor. They get hot enough as it is, and if you run them over-spec their lifetime is severly reduced. Also there is no guarantee that they will be error free; if your clock-cycle is shorter than the propogation time for the logic circuits, the cpu will not operate correctly. Although this is only a minor theoretical concern, the threat will increase as clock-speed increases.

Personally, I have never seen a CPU die unless it was hit by lightning. Plenty of motherboards and video cards, loads of fans/CD-ROMs/hard drives, but no CPUs, and I've known plenty of people who overclock. Usually if the chip can't handle it -- either cause of heat or propagation delays -- the system will crash within minutes, an hour at most. In relatively few cases the system would crash sporadically every couple days.

Really if you want to overclock your CPU you should look online ( www.tomshardware.com[/url] , [url]www.anandtech.com[/URL] ) and see how overclockable the particular chip is. I had a Celeron 300A that I ran at 450 for years without the slightest problem; but some chips run hot enough they can't usually take even minor overclocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
can i do the same with my old 800 mhz celeron?

Success at overclocking depends highly on the CPU. CPUs are rated for speed at the factory by testing them in batches. They are designed to be one speed say 1000Ghz and then tested for that speed, if they fail the test for some reason, they are dropped back to the next speed, say 950, and tested again. Your 800 may be a 1000 that failed a test or two for some reason. If this is the case you can safely push it forward in speed, but it may fail to perform properly for one reason or another. Then again, it may have passed the first test and already be performing at its peak and may not overclock well.

I have overclocked a celeron, they are a very good candidate for overclocking I took a 566 Celeron and raised the bus speed from 66 to 87.5 so it ran at about 750. I didn't even need to replace the fan. This is not too risky because Celerons generally run at a lower bus speed then they are designed to work with. The core of a Celeron is the same as the core of its sister Pentium chip, usually it has half of its cache disabled and/or runs at a slower bus speed. However, I think 800s based on the P3 core run at 100Mhz. which means it would have a 8x multiplier you might be able to increase it to 1000 by pushing up the bus speed to 125. There is a good chance that your current CPU fan can handle this, but you should check the make and model and verify this first. If you use software such as "CPUcool" to overclock, the software does some cooling by using timeout cycles, however these don't work during CPU intensive programs such as games and your CPU could still overheat.

If you want to overclock just to see if you can do it, go for it. But if you value the quality of your data, like J-man said, just upgrade your CPU.

Originally posted by Artman
Success at overclocking depends highly on the CPU.
Good point.

I think Intel cpus are generally more forgiving of the heat than say AMD. Although I have run my 800MHz Thunderbird without the fan plugged in for 1 to 7 days, (not sure how long because I definitely didn't do it on purpose,) without even a heat shutdown. Also, the lower speed chips are more reliably run over spec, say a 300 MHz running at 500 MHz than a 2GHz running at 2.4GHz.

I have seen CPUs go belly up enough, not a lot but enough, to run them at what they are rated for.

overclock by 10~20% higher speed, i think no problem,
do not overclock up to 40%.

My motherboard does not support overclock, I can't do anything.

1. What is overclocking?

Overclocking is the process of increasing the clock speed of a computer's central processing unit (CPU) in order to improve overall performance.

2. Is it safe to overclock my AMD Duron 1 GHz processor?

Overclocking can potentially damage your processor and other components if not done correctly. It is important to follow a step-by-step guide and monitor your system's temperature to ensure safety.

3. What tools do I need to overclock my processor?

You will need a software program that allows you to adjust your CPU's clock speed, as well as a monitoring tool to keep track of your system's temperature. You may also need additional cooling methods, such as a better CPU cooler.

4. Can I overclock my processor even if I am not a computer expert?

Yes, with the right guide and precautions, anyone can overclock their processor. However, it is important to have some basic knowledge of computer hardware and to carefully follow the steps.

5. What are the potential benefits of overclocking an AMD Duron 1 GHz processor?

Overclocking can lead to a noticeable increase in overall system performance, especially in tasks that require high processing power. This can result in faster load times, smoother gameplay, and improved multitasking capabilities.