What could be wrong with my approach to finding principal moments of inertia?

In summary, principal moments of inertia are three values that represent the mass and shape distribution of a rigid body and its resistance to rotation. They can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem and are significant in understanding rotational dynamics and stability. These moments can change due to changes in mass distribution or shape.
Geocentric

Homework Statement

I have a question on finding the principal moments of inertia of a discrete set of mass points on a plane. If I choose one of the mass points as the origin, I always end up having a diagonal matrix for the inertia tensor for any configuration. Isn't that weird? I sense something wrong with my solution. Could someone please help me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I get it now guys.

Related to What could be wrong with my approach to finding principal moments of inertia?

What are principal moments of inertia?

Principal moments of inertia are a set of three values that describe the distribution of mass and shape of a rigid body. They represent the body's resistance to rotation about three perpendicular axes passing through its center of mass.

How are principal moments of inertia calculated?

Principal moments of inertia can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a body about any axis is equal to the moment of inertia about a parallel axis through the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

What is the significance of principal moments of inertia?

Principal moments of inertia are important in understanding the rotational dynamics of a rigid body. They can be used to determine the body's angular momentum and angular acceleration when subjected to external forces or torques.

How do principal moments of inertia affect an object's stability?

The distribution of principal moments of inertia affects an object's stability, with larger moments of inertia making it more difficult for the object to rotate. This is why objects with a lower center of mass are often more stable.

Can principal moments of inertia change?

Yes, the principal moments of inertia of a body can change if there is a change in the distribution of mass or the body's shape. This can occur due to external forces or internal structural changes, such as bending or twisting.