What could be causing elevated AST and ALT levels in a 17-year-old male?

• Thread starter ghost313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levels
In summary, there is a concern about the AST and ALT levels in a 17-year-old male who has been weightlifting and has a healthy lifestyle, but does not consume protein powder or supplements. The individual is seeking a possible explanation for the high levels and will need to discuss this with their doctor.
ghost313
Hello Biology folks!
So here is my problem:
I have done my bloodwork(full analisis),the results are all satisfying,except my AST and ALT levels.
My levels:
AST: 77
ALT: 48
Note:I am a almost 17 year old male,73 kg,183cm high. I haven`t drunk any alchol since new years eve and before that not much either(by the way,I have never got drunk so much that I had to throw up if that helps in any way).I am going to the gym every day,so I am lifting weights,I do not take any protein powder or any supplyments for my body.I eat everything healthy.
I have red that maybe becouse of bodybuilding my levels of AST/ALT are high,is that true?
Thank you for your time!

Biology news on Phys.org
Since many things can affect these readings, your doctor would need to interpret them along with other tests he has done or plans to do. You need to discuss this with your doctor.

Related to What could be causing elevated AST and ALT levels in a 17-year-old male?

1. What are AS&ALT levels and why are they important for a 17-year-old male?

AS&ALT levels, also known as aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase levels, are enzymes that are found in the liver and other tissues in the body. These enzymes are important for breaking down proteins and producing energy. In a 17-year-old male, these levels are important indicators of liver health and can help detect any potential liver problems.

2. What is a normal range for AS&ALT levels in a 17-year-old male?

The normal range for AS&ALT levels in a 17-year-old male can vary slightly depending on the lab and testing method used. However, on average, the normal range for AS&ALT levels is between 10-40 units per liter (U/L) for aspartate aminotransferase and 7-56 U/L for alanine aminotransferase.

3. What can cause high AS&ALT levels in a 17-year-old male?

High AS&ALT levels in a 17-year-old male can be caused by various factors such as alcohol consumption, viral infections (such as hepatitis), certain medications, obesity, and genetic disorders. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

4. What are the risks of having high AS&ALT levels as a 17-year-old male?

Having high AS&ALT levels as a 17-year-old male can indicate potential liver damage or inflammation. If left untreated, it can lead to more serious liver conditions such as cirrhosis or liver failure. It is important to address and manage high AS&ALT levels to prevent further health complications.

5. Can AS&ALT levels be lowered in a 17-year-old male?

Yes, in many cases, AS&ALT levels can be lowered in a 17-year-old male through lifestyle changes such as maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding alcohol, and following a balanced diet. In some cases, medication may be prescribed to treat the underlying cause of high AS&ALT levels. It is important to follow the advice of a healthcare professional for proper management of AS&ALT levels.