What compounds can be measured using GC equipment?

In summary: I would recommend contacting them. I would imagine that this would be pretty simple however I am not a GC expert and thus do not know of whether any specific aspects of your setup that would be incompatible with obtaining the concentration of the propanol - water mixture.Have you considered RI experiments?I have a GC- capillary column..with FID detector..i posted that query to confirm what are the compounds that can be measured using GC.if we can't able to measure with my GC. what are the required things to measure these components...such as Propanol, ethanol etc...i don't have idea about "RI" experiments ... what is that ?
Shri
Hi... can anyone help me in using GC equipment for Organic compounds...

i want to know what are the compounds we can measure with GC-capillary column...with FID detector and H2 as a carrier gas...

i want measure propanol concentration present in propanol-water mixture.

please help in this ,... if any material regarding GC you can forward me... it will be help full to me ...

Thanking you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Shri said:
Hi... can anyone help me in using GC equipment for Organic compounds...

i want to know what are the compounds we can measure with GC-capillary column...with FID detector and H2 as a carrier gas...

i want measure propanol concentration present in propanol-water mixture.

please help in this ,... if any material regarding GC you can forward me... it will be help full to me ...

Thanking you

I would imagine that this would be pretty simple however I am not a GC expert and thus do not know of whether any specific aspects of your setup that would be incompatible with obtaining the concentration of the propanol - water mixture.

Have you considered RI experiments?

I have a GC- capillary column..with FID detector..

i posted that query to confirm what are the compounds that can be measured using GC.
if we can't able to measure with my GC. what are the required things to measure these components...such as Propanol, ethanol etc...

i don't have idea about "RI" experiments ... what is that ?

Shri...

Shri said:
I have a GC- capillary column..with FID detector..

i posted that query to confirm what are the compounds that can be measured using GC.
if we can't able to measure with my GC. what are the required things to measure these components...such as Propanol, ethanol etc...

i don't have idea about "RI" experiments ... what is that ?

Shri...

You should be able to measure it using GC ; or any other volatile compounds. RI is for refractive index , it is commonly used to measure the composition of ethanol in water. When the water / ethanol composition varies each distinct composition has a specific value of refractive index ; although most people prepare a standard curve you may simply consult with a known table - perhaps NIST has RI tables for propanol / water mixtures. Do you have an RI device in the lab?

no.. i don't have any RI device in my lab; what is the advantage of having these RI values? ... i have another problem... i have to measure 2-octanol composition using GC .. can i measure directly or i should add any solvent to the 2-octanol component ? ...

Shri said:
no.. i don't have any RI device in my lab; what is the advantage of having these RI values? ... i have another problem... i have to measure 2-octanol composition using GC .. can i measure directly or i should add any solvent to the 2-octanol component ? ...

For Propanol it would be faster , with the GC approach you are going to need to setup a standard curve , RI values for Propanol should be tabulated so it is simply a matter of pipetting a small amount of sample onto the surface reader , closing the top , press to read , then wah lah you got your measurement.

For the 2-octanol are you referring to an aqueous solution? For the GC you may want to check the temperature capabilities and then check the BP of 2-octanol.

You might be able to find inexpensive (maybe 500 dollars or more?) refractometers; some of them are hand-held. Some of them are designed to read "degrees Brix", but the numbers are convertible to refractive index; you might find something like this in a handbook. Check with laboratory people in the fruit, citrus, or foods industries, and check in scientific supply catalogs to find what you can learn.

(Actually, I do not what kind of prices are for various kinds of refractometers; just do some checking with scientific supply houses).

The manufacturer of the capillary column might have a method for you to use. Some of the major manufacturers are just a few mouseclicks away...

Related to What compounds can be measured using GC equipment?

1. What is GC equipment used for?

GC (Gas Chromatography) equipment is used for separating and analyzing the components of a mixture. It can be used for various purposes such as identifying unknown compounds, determining the purity of a substance, and quantifying the amount of a specific compound in a sample.

2. How does GC equipment work?

GC equipment works by vaporizing a sample and injecting it into a long, narrow column filled with a stationary phase. The sample components then travel through the column at different rates based on their chemical properties, ultimately reaching a detector which measures and records the results.

3. What types of samples can be analyzed using GC equipment?

GC equipment is commonly used to analyze gaseous or volatile liquid samples. It can also be used for solid or non-volatile liquid samples by first converting them into a gas through techniques such as heating or vaporization.

4. What are the benefits of using GC equipment?

Using GC equipment allows for highly accurate and precise analysis of complex mixtures. It also offers a relatively quick analysis time, high sensitivity and selectivity, and the ability to analyze a wide range of sample types.

5. Are there any limitations to using GC equipment?

While GC equipment is a powerful analytical tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot analyze non-volatile compounds, and certain compounds may not be well separated by GC due to their similar chemical properties. Additionally, the equipment and the analysis process can be costly and require specialized training and expertise.