"What colour is this dress" craze

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colour
In summary, this conversation is about a color perception issue where people see white and gold, or blue and black, when looking at a dress. This has become a social media craze where people post photos of the dress online and vote on which color they see. According to the summary, the dress is actually blue and gold for some people, but black and blue for others.

What Colour Is This Dress

• Total voters
I wrote elsewhere that I want a piece of the fabric and use a UV-VIS to look at the reflected spectrum. That should give an objective and quantitative answer to all this mess.

Zz.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
I wrote elsewhere that I want a piece of the fabric and use a UV-VIS to look at the reflected spectrum. That should give an objective and quantitative answer to all this mess.

Zz.
Which would be great if the dress were uniquely identifiable. There are multiple dresses in both colours.

DaveC426913 said:
Which would be great if the dress were uniquely identifiable. There are multiple dresses in both colours.

I'll take all of them.

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'll take all of them.
And definitively demonstrate that both are right. Which would not solve the question of the dress in this pic. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I am not even going to show this to my wife. We have had some very strongly worded discussions about the color charts at Home Depot. She calls me a color illiterate and then she looks at color charts under fluorescent lights. How about using the Home depot magic color matcher machine on this dress? : )

Likes Greg Bernhardt
For me, it depends on the amount and color of the ambient light. Bright lights or fluorescents make it look white/gold and dimmer lights make it look blue/black.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I see blue/gold.

XKCD joins in-
dress_color.png

'This white-balance illusion hit so hard because it felt like someone had been playing through the Monty Hall scenario and opened their chosen door, only to find there was unexpectedly disagreement over whether the thing they'd revealed was a goat or a car.'

Likes cpman and Silicon Waffle
http://41.media.tumblr.com/3caa5ce1ecc7b7b301db1b615ec38cb4/tumblr_nkfl3apOgj1qd57r9o1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes edward, Irol, HomogenousCow and 1 other person
Yes I see it's gray too.

Blue black to me, no doubt about that.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I'd seen this before in last two days. First time it ws (Ivory) white and gold and I thought, OK I'm normal, but second time it was blue and black. Since then it's been white and gold. It was for two others I showed it to. Every time on same I-pad.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Here is the color in photoshop

View attachment 79687

I tried that with MS paint and got a similar result. From looking at the picture, I see whitish and goldish. I don't see the dark blue and black that the dress really is. Regardless of whatever color the dress really is, the picture shows a light blue and gold color. Putting it into MS paint and using the eyedropper to select the darkest parts of the fabric, it gives a result of light blue and gold. Never dark blue and definitely not black. MS paint isn't being affected by an optical illusion, so whatever colors it says the picture is, then that's what the colors are for that picture.

someone just changed the hue/saturation settings in photoshop to make the dress appear blue/black. :wink:

to girls (I used to work at a jewelry co,) white and blue are the same, black and gold are the same in the world of hi catour

my fav color combo is white/blue like a real Shelby cobra, if you look at the flags from around the world you can identify how a nations people think by the flag design and colors they use, even though I'm from the us I'd say I'd have to identify with the flag of finland.:wink:

shoutz to my niece Shelby my little geek cobra!

Last edited:
thankz said:
to girls (I used to work at a jewelry co,) white and blue are the same, black and gold are the same in the world of hi catour
What? Are you asserting that women in high couture lack the ability to see the difference between white and blue, or black and gold? They are colour blind by their profession?

I had an old verve jazz cd with the song on it "think pink"

"now I wouldn't tell a women what she ought to think, but if she's got to think, think pink":-p

thankz said:
I had an old verve jazz cd with the song on it "think pink"

"now I wouldn't tell a women what she ought to think, but if she's got to think, think pink":-p

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but I don't believe women are colorblind.