What color is the sky on extra-solar planet?

In summary: all in all, it's unlikely you'll be able to determine the color from the spectral type alone, but if you're trying to figure out a particular planet's atmosphere, it's a good place to start.
dsisk559
Hi I'm writing a story and I need to figure out what color the sky is on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae that has close to the same atmosphere as earth.

just so you know Zeta Tucanae's Spectrum is F9V and Color Index is 0.576

It would be great if you can tell me how to find the color myself, or direct me to something that will, that way I won't have to bug you guys in the future.

Thanks alot,
Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I don't know what color it is, but I don't think you'll be able to tell what the color of a planet's atmosphere is by the spectral type of its sun.

I think you need to know (or speculate) what the atmosphere of the planet is composed of to figure this out.

If it has the same composition as Earth's atmosphere and the star emits over the entire visible spectrum (which I don't know enough about spectrum classifications to know what F9V means), then the sky will be blue during the day, red/yellow at dawn/dusk, and dark at night... same as Earth.

consider first of all that the spectrum as we see it is nothing more than a matter of perception, so if you were living on such a planet, depending on your evolution, the spectrum may be split up into only 2 or 3 or even 20 or 30 understandable divisions. and the 'colours' they see may be completely different to the ones you see, ie, even if they were on earth, they'd still see everything in their spectrum. long story short, you can pick anything that you'd like, but you would still have to use the ROYGBV system for your reader's to picture it. also if the planet is assumed to have an atmosphere similar to earth's, it would still operate the same way, as mentioned above.

Related to What color is the sky on extra-solar planet?

1. What is an extra-solar planet?

An extra-solar planet, also known as an exoplanet, is a planet that orbits a star other than our own sun.

2. Can we see the color of the sky on an extra-solar planet?

Currently, we do not have the technology to directly observe the color of the sky on an extra-solar planet. However, scientists can make educated guesses based on the planet's atmosphere and composition.

3. How do scientists determine the color of the sky on an extra-solar planet?

Scientists use a combination of spectroscopy, which analyzes the light reflected by the planet's atmosphere, and computer simulations to determine the color of the sky on an extra-solar planet.

4. Is the color of the sky on an extra-solar planet the same as on Earth?

No, the color of the sky on an extra-solar planet can vary greatly depending on its atmosphere and the type of star it orbits. It is possible for the sky to be a different color, such as red or orange, on some extra-solar planets.

5. Why is it important to study the color of the sky on extra-solar planets?

Studying the color of the sky on extra-solar planets can provide valuable insights into the planet's atmosphere, composition, and potential habitability. It can also help us better understand the diversity of planets in our universe.