What Classes Should a First Year Physics/Math Student Consider?

In summary: Make an appointment to meet with the Head of the Physics Department. Be prepared to talk about your academic goals and how you would approach a graduate degree in physics.
Jasom
As the title says, I'm a first year university student, currently attending Northern Michigan University. I'm really quite unsure about what classes I should take in my second semester and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I'm unsure what kind of physics/mathematics I want to get into, but I know I belong somewhere in the field of those two subjects. I'm aiming for a Ph.D in whatever field I choose.

During my first semester, I was sort of stuck with classes that I didn't really want because my Freshman Orientation was the last one of the summer and most of the classes I wanted to take were filled. I'm not taking any math or science courses right now, and it really bums me out. Those are the things I understand, things I can get a firm grasp on.

Any suggestions about courses, or even just general college advice, would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to meeting the people of PF and hopefully becoming a regular here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Talk to your undergraduate advisor. As a math or physics major, your first year is pretty much set in stone (calculus and calculus based physics then load up on GE nonsense).

Have you talked to anybody in the physics department about this? Practically everywhere, the physics major starts with introductory physics I and calculus I the first semester of freshman year. I'd be amazed to see a physics department let a prospective physics major get shut out of calculus and the introductory physics sequence for freshman year. There's usually a way to override enrollment limits, but it has to be done by the course instructor or someone in the department.

I talked to my Academic Adviser today and checked out my liberal studies evaluation, as well as the required courses for my B.S. Physics, with a double minor in Mathematics and Computer Science. I called and scheduled a meeting with the Head of the Physics department for tomorrow, so I hope I'll be able to get some more advice from him as well.

Are there any grad school prep tips I should know about and maybe certain things I should do to help me get into grad school?

"Are there any grad school prep tips I should know about and maybe certain things I should do to help me get into grad school? "

Register in your required courses before they are full.

Related to What Classes Should a First Year Physics/Math Student Consider?

1. What are some tips for success as a first year university student?

As a first year university student, it is important to prioritize your time and stay organized. Make sure to attend all classes, take thorough notes, and complete assignments on time. Additionally, reach out to professors and peers for help when needed and take advantage of resources such as tutoring and study groups. It is also important to maintain a healthy balance between academics and self-care.

2. How can I prepare for the academic workload in my first year of university?

To prepare for the academic workload in your first year of university, start by familiarizing yourself with your course syllabi and the expectations for each class. Use a planner or calendar to manage your time effectively and break down larger assignments into smaller, manageable tasks. It may also be helpful to practice good study habits, such as reviewing material regularly and finding a quiet and organized study space.

3. What resources are available for first year university students?

Universities often offer a variety of resources for first year students, such as academic advising, tutoring services, writing centers, and mental health support. Additionally, many universities have clubs and organizations that cater to specific interests or majors, which can help students connect with peers and get involved on campus.

4. How can I build relationships and connections as a first year university student?

Building relationships and connections as a first year university student can be done through various means, such as joining clubs and organizations, attending campus events, and participating in class discussions. It is also important to reach out to classmates and make an effort to get to know them outside of class. Building a strong support system can help with academic success and overall well-being.

5. What are some common challenges faced by first year university students?

Some common challenges faced by first year university students include adjusting to a new academic environment, managing a heavier workload, and balancing academic responsibilities with personal and social life. Other challenges may include homesickness, financial concerns, and feeling overwhelmed or isolated. It is important for students to reach out for support and utilize available resources to navigate these challenges.