What charges on my hair after comb?

In summary, it is believed that after combing hair with a wood comb, the comb will attain a weak negative charge due to the transfer of electrons from the hair to the comb. This is based on the triboelectric series. However, it is unclear what the person is asking - whether there are charges transferred and how they are transferred. It is also mentioned that when measuring with a voltmeter, placing a red rod into the positive side of a battery and a black rod into the negative side displays a +9V charge. It is then questioned if this is the correct interpretation or if the voltmeter is being used incorrectly. Any suggestions are welcomed.
oem7110
After I comb my hair, does it supposed that my hair is positively charged and the wood comb is negatively charged? since the electrons went from your hair to the wood comb.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really understand what you are asking. Are you asking IF there are charges transferred from your hair to your comb, or how they are transferred, or what?

nDever said:
According to the triboelectric series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect), after combing your hair with a wood comb, the comb will attain a weak negative charge.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRsLB6wUKEON5YRL9RD0iBTWqFzkFGrjExNCSyzpFWwjADAfQ_.jpg

Red is for + and Black is for -.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxMF9h8qAI1V_yUx2ycue_98QiS_2aqx74bfp-VzJua5AUjpZ4kw.jpg

If I place red rod into positive side of battery and place black rod into negative side of battery, it displays +9V.

I measure it using voltmeter and proved it you are wrong, after combing my hair with a wood comb,

Keep my finger touch on the red rod and let the black rod touch my hair. it displays positive value on meter.
On the other hands, keep my finger touch on the red rod and let the black rod touch wood comb. it displays negative value on meter.

Am I right? or do I mis-interpret the voltmeter.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I would like to clarify that the charges on your hair and the comb are not as simple as positive and negative. When you comb your hair, friction is created between the comb and your hair. This friction can lead to a transfer of electrons between the two surfaces, resulting in a buildup of static electricity.

The charge on your hair and the comb will depend on a variety of factors such as the material of the comb, the moisture content of your hair, and the amount of friction created. It is not accurate to say that the wood comb is always negatively charged and your hair is always positively charged.

Furthermore, the concept of positive and negative charges is based on the movement of electrons, which are negatively charged particles. However, in reality, both positive and negative charges exist in equal amounts and are balanced. So, it is not accurate to say that the electrons went from your hair to the wood comb, rather there is a redistribution of charges between the two surfaces.

In conclusion, while it is true that combing your hair can result in a buildup of static electricity, it is not accurate to simplify it as a transfer of positive and negative charges between your hair and the comb. The charges and their distribution are more complex and can vary depending on various factors.

Related to What charges on my hair after comb?

1) Why does my hair get charged after combing?

The friction between your hair and the comb causes electrons to be transferred from one to the other, resulting in a build-up of static electricity. This can also happen with other materials, such as rubbing a balloon on your hair.

2) How can I prevent my hair from getting charged after combing?

One way to prevent this is to use a comb or brush made of materials that are less likely to create static, such as wood or natural bristles. You can also try using a leave-in conditioner or anti-static spray on your hair before combing.

3) Is having charged hair harmful?

No, having charged hair is not harmful to your health. It is simply a natural occurrence caused by friction and can be easily managed.

4) Why does my hair only get charged in the winter?

In the winter, the air is usually drier, which allows for a greater build-up of static electricity. This, combined with wearing hats and scarves that rub against your hair, can make your hair more prone to getting charged.

5) Can I use metal combs to avoid getting charged hair?

No, metal combs can actually increase the amount of static electricity in your hair due to their conductive properties. Stick to using combs made of non-conductive materials to avoid further charging of your hair.